Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I can only use the 32-bit version of dolphin with my Nvidia GPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Fatalize

The 32x stable release of dolphin (4.0.2.) seems to be the only version of dolphin that recognizes my Nvidia Geforce 940m. Everytime I try the stable 64x release or any of the newer developer builds my laptop switches to Intel HD Graphics.

In the nvidia settings dolphin.exe is forced to use highperformance nvidia gpu. There is only one listing for dolphin.exe in the drop down menu, so technically this should apply to both 32x and 64x versions of dolphin, right?

I first thought my gpu might not be compatible with 64-bit programs for some reason, but then again it recognizes other 64-bit applications (such as Corel Paint Shop Pro 8X 64-bit) perfectly fine, just not dolphin.

Is there a specific setting or switch in the nvidia control panels that influences any of that?

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with Nvidia Driver version 361.75 (alreay tried different driver versions, result is always the same...)
Quote: There is only one listing for dolphin.exe in the drop down menu
That's normal , just leave it be . Dolphin will still use Nvidia GPU even if it shows Intel GPU
You can verify this with Nvidia Inspector . If your "GPU Load" is higher than 0% then that mean Dolphin is using Nvidia GPU
I had the same problem with my GT 540M but it's not actually a problem since Dolphin used my GT 540M anyway

Btw , Windows 10 has DX12 , it's much faster than what you have on Windows 7 (35 -> 60% faster depending on the game) and Windows 10 is free if you use Window Update .

Edit : There could be an issue with OS . Nvidia Optimus does not work well on Windows 7
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...s-resolved
This guy had GT 520M on Windows 7 . He couldn't fix his problem until I told him to upgrade his OS

Fatalize

No, 64x dolphin does not use my gpu. The gpu load is 0, there's is no symbol in the nvidia gpu activity icon in the task bar and dolphin itself starts with the message that the emulator uses Intel HD Graphics. Refer to the screenshots below.

Edit: I did read through the other thread that you linked to...seems like I've exhausted almost all options that have been explained in there. Will download the latest nvidia driver and if nothing else helps might format and reinstall my OS. Not very keen on upgrading to Windows 10.
Windows 7 is a no go for me since it did not work well with my GPU in the past .
I prefer Windows 8 over 10 but I have no choice .
If I stick with Windows 8 , demanding games like The Last Story (Wii) will lag like hell no matter what graphic resolution I choose
On Windows 10 (DX12 backend) , it run flawlessly

Fatalize

Ok...I'm confused....now it suddenly works...

I completely de-installed and then re-installed the latest nvidia driver. Started x64 dolphin (4.0.2), graphic backend was set to Open GL. GPU didn't register. Closed emulation, switched backend to Direct3D11 and suddenly the gpu shows activity. Tried again, reset to Open GL and now it works with that as well. Switched over to a newer build, (4.0-9375) and the GPU works here too.

Huh

So could it really be a fault with my previous driver version? Because over the last few months I already changed the version two or three times, yet the GPU would never work with dolphin. Now it does? Well, let's see for how long.  Big Grin

One question: What exactly is the difference between OpenGL and Direct3D11? Which one should I use? Performance seems to be same between the two...
Congrads then
OpenGL is an open standard application programming interface that provides a number of functions for the rendering of 2D and 3D graphics . It can run on most OS (OSX , Android , Windows , Linux)
Direct3D or Directx11 only run on Windows because Microsoft made it
It's said that OpenGL run faster on Nvidia GPU and Directx11 run faster on AMD GPU , Directx11 run some games faster than OpenGL (Mario Sports Mix for example)
Both of them are much slower than Directx12 though

Fatalize

Ok, fuck this!

Turned laptop off yesterday, turned it on again half an hour ago...and guess what? The GPU doesn't recognize the 64-bit version of dolphin, only 32-bit. I didn't change a single setting... Angry

Edit:

Ok, retraced my steps. Deleted dolphin.ini. De-installed und then re-installed the latest gpu driver. Set dolphin.exe to use nvidia gpu in the nvidia control panel.

Result: 64-bit dolphin recognizes the gpu, but only when using Direct3D11, when using OpenGL it switches back to Intel HD Graphics....

Update:

My GPU seems to hate me. 64x Dolphin with OpenGL works only randomly, sometimes it uses Intel HD Grpahics, sometimes it uses the gpu. I can't really recognize any logical pattern in that behavior. After starting the emulation with Direct3D11 (gpu works), then stopping the game and changing the backend to OpenGL and starting the emulation again, it took about 10 tries for dolphin to finally work with OpenGL using the gpu. For now it works...