Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: "Interpreter64" in the title bar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it normal that Dolphin sometimes changes "JIT64" to "Interpreter64" (or Interpreter -- I don't remember exactly) for the emulation window title? I noticed that this sometimes happens when I'm playing Mario Kart Wii; it's not affecting emulation speed, at least not noticably, but I'm curious if this is something that is completely normal or if something weird is going on.

PS: I'm running a fairly recent development build (4.0-9285) on GNU/Linux.
IIRC Dolphin will fall back to interpreter if it needs to emulate something that isn't supported by the JIT yet (or if there is JIT support, but your GPU driver is too old to use it).
Yeah, now that you mention it, I think it's probably an instruction that hasn't yet been implemented. But are there still instructions that are not supported by the x64 JIT, and in a (pretty) common game such as Mario Kart Wii?
There are some instructions, but we won't change the title bar because of interpreter fallbacks. So this sounds very strange to me.
Yes, that's what I was thinking too… It makes no sense to display Interpreter in the title, even for a split second. I tested it again and it did say "Interpreter64", and the only place where this string is present is Interpreter::GetName(), so somehow the title is changing for fallbacks.
Nope, not for fallbacks. We use the interpreter for initialization, and for single steping. Do you use cheats?
I do indeed, to show a speedometer in the game. Does that make it fallback more often to the interpreter? But since you say it is not supposed to change for fallbacks...
Single stepping != fallbacks. Fallbacks are at a very low level, single stepping is much higher. IIRC we switch to interpreter mode for AR codes.
I thought Dolphin switches to interpreter for gecko codes?
Ah, okay. I suppose that it's normal then that it shows Interpreter64. Thanks for explaining it to me!