Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hyperthreading
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If I have 2 Intel Xeon CPUs and I enable hyperthreading (both quad cores, so that would make 16 "cores"), how would that effect Dolphin's performance?
It won't.

Dolphin by default has it's heavy work on two threads. The CPU emulation thread and the GPU emulation thread (Although this is pretty buggy tbh), throwing more cores at it does little to nothing.

It will have a nice effect with our Direct3D 12 backend because we do threading a bit better there, but from what I've seen it tends to stop helping after 4 physical/logical threads.

Since you'd already have a ton of available threads, it would do nothing.
Plus I heard hyperthreading is bad for Dolphin.
So in that case my main question is would it decrease performance? I was thinking of enabling it just for Windows or other applications.
It shouldn't decrease performance unless for some reason Windows decides to stick Dolphin strictly on logical (hyperthread) threads, but Windows is smart enough to not try to do that, and if it does you can just pin it to specific threads in Task Manager.
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-qu...rthreading

I found the thread I was talking about. It decreases performance only on dual core CPUs.
... It's a CPU feature. For your computer.
You don't have that feature. You cannot enable it.
I said it's a feature that exists in certain Intel CPUs. It does not exist in YOUR Intel CPU.
(05-15-2016, 04:42 PM)DolphinGCWii Wrote: [ -> ]OK but what does this feature do?

It makes many programs a bit faster, but not Dolphin.
Pages: 1 2