Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Intense drops on Sonic Colors [60 FPS Patch]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, after applying AdderDees 60 fps AR Code, I can barely get from the main menu to the first stage. The main menu is 60 FPS, but the first stage drops to anywhere from 21-41.

I am on Dolphin 4.0- 9291 on Direct3D12. I've tried just about every settings combination and have had no luck getting this to run properly. I can play Fatal Frame 4 pretty well with little to no issues (Only 2 hours in so far). SMSunshine runs fairly well at 60 FPS. I've tried the OC in Dolphin but it yields unfathomably stutter-y results. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm running low on ideas, here.

Operating System: Win10 + Hackintosh
Processor/CPU: AMD FX-8350 OC 4.2ghz
Video Card/GPU: ATI Radeon 7950 HD
Memory/RAM: Corsair 8 GB
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 4.0-9291 x64-bit
Sonic Colors is a very demanding game at 60 fps, so it's one of two issues:
1) your CPU just isn't strong enough. My i7-4700MQ gets occasional dips in this game w/ the 60 fps patch the last time I played it (about 3 months ago)

2) you may need to overclock the emulated CPU in Dolphin. This has helped some people, but it also makes the game even more CPU demanding.
Yeah this is a super demanding title at 60 FPS; about 2x as demanding as it is at 30 FPS, when it was already a very difficult Wii game.
(05-13-2016, 11:09 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah this is a super demanding title at 60 FPS; about 2x as demanding as it is at 30 FPS, when it was already a very difficult Wii game.

I guess it still hasn't sunk in for me yet that a six year old game just isn't going to run like I want it to. Hopefully Skyward Sword runs a bit better :X
To be honest, on top of Sonic Colors with the 60 FPS patch being demanding, this is also another case of AMD CPUs being garbage for Dolphin due their shitty IPC when compared to Intel...
You're not playing a six-year old game, you're emulating an entire console.

Also, KHg8m3r, can I ask what you overclock the Wii CPU to when you use the patch?
(05-13-2016, 02:21 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, on top of Sonic Colors with the 60 FPS patch being demanding, this is also another case of AMD CPUs being garbage for Dolphin due their shitty IPC when compared to Intel...

Tell me about it. This is worse than making the Hackintosh. At least you could work to overcome the compatibility issues, but this is just horse shit. Almost every game, regardless of the console, has slowdowns and glitches because of the CPU. It's seriously depressing. I can't even play Skyward Sword.
Why not just play it without that patch ? FX 8350 @ 5.0GHz is not even as fast as i3 4130 stock speed @ 3.4GHz in our official Dolphin Benchmark. Therefore , most demanding games won't run well on your PC . Zelda SS is also one of them
Too bad for you , most emulators use only 2 cores and performance per core of Piledriver is terrible .
(05-13-2016, 02:34 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]You're not playing a six-year old game, you're emulating an entire console.

Also, KHg8m3r, can I ask what you overclock the Wii CPU to when you use the patch?

Last time I played I didn't use an overclock. I think I remember someone using a 125% overclock though. Next time I get around to playing it I'll see if I need it or not.

(05-13-2016, 04:43 PM)Lonely Man Wrote: [ -> ]Tell me about it. This is worse than making the Hackintosh. At least you could work to overcome the compatibility issues, but this is just horse shit. Almost every game, regardless of the console, has slowdowns and glitches because of the CPU. It's seriously depressing. I can't even play Skyward Sword.

I remember when I turned my old Q6600 powered Dell into a Hackintosh. That was a lot of issues. I had problems on OSX 10.11 when it first came out, so right now I'm on 10.10.4 and don't want to upgrade in case it all breaks again.
Honestly, you can build a computer that only plays Dolphin/emulators for around $300-$400. A G3258 overclocked/i3-6100 will play Dolphin fantastically, and paired with a GTX 950 will have good visuals.
(05-14-2016, 01:44 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Last time I played I didn't use an overclock. I think I remember someone using a 125% overclock though. Next time I get around to playing it I'll see if I need it or not.

I remember when I turned my old Q6600 powered Dell into a Hackintosh. That was a lot of issues. I had problems on OSX 10.11 when it first came out, so right now I'm on 10.10.4 and don't want to upgrade in case it all breaks again.
Honestly, you can build a computer that only plays Dolphin/emulators for around $300-$400. A G3258 overclocked/i3-6100 will play Dolphin fantastically, and paired with a GTX 950 will have good visuals.

Actually, this whole experience kind of makes me want to switch to Dell altogether. This isn't the only time having an AMD build has held me back. It's actually quite the headache and I'm getting pretty fed up with it. I have been really disappointed in a LOT of modern titles lately and I never owned a Wii. I figured an FX-8350 was sufficient Big GrinDD.
Pages: 1 2