Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What to upgrade for better internal resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mikemk

I'm currently running 2x resolution for GameCube games, and 1.5x for Wii. I don't use AA or filtering because they tend to break games. I do use scaled EFB copy and per-pixel lighting, and custom textures (when available and faithful to original textures).

What should I upgrade to be able to run Wii games at 2x IR @ 60FPS?
Intel i5-750 or NVIDIA GT 740?
Internal Resolution is almost always directly connected to the speed of your GPU.

Your CPU is old, but still fine-ish for a good majority of games. If you want to increase the IR, get a better GPU.
Nah ,Intel HD 4600 can handle 2xIR , my Nvidia GT 540M can handle up to 2.5x IR , GTX 750 can handle up to 4x IR
I don't think his GT 740 can't handle 2xIR which is extremely low resolution
His CPU is the bottleneck as it doesn't meet Dolphin requirement (not faster than the real Wii in benchmark)
4th gen Haswell is 30% faster than 3rd gen Ivy Bridge . The latest gen is 6th gen and his CPU is 1st gen Nehalem
He can upgrade to i5 6400 to see big jump in performance
If he want more FPS for free , he can overclock his CPU
Per pixel lightning might drag down the gpu or cpu. I wouldn't know, i never use it.

And if a game uses/requires efb2ram, the cpu becomes relevant as well, because it gets less time to get things done. Getting a faster gpu helps with efb2ram, but i think it still leaves a little higher cpu requirement with higher IR.
While his CPU is old as crap I would like to point out that that benchmark is old as hell and hasn't been updated in a long time. I tested that benchmark vs master to see how much faster we got on CPU last week. Master is several minutes faster on povray on my mobile i7 (load was roughly 3.1 ghz).

Granted, the Real Wii score wouldn't change, but more recent builds of Dolphin perform significantly better.

EDIT: My point is, while upgrading their CPU is *probably* a good idea, it's less important than upgrading their GPU because we're really efficient in CPU compared to years ago when that benchmark was made.

Not to mention we destroyed GPU perf in more recent builds.
Is your tested i7 first generation ? The @OP want to run Wii game at full speed . I have first gen i5 480M @ 2.9GHz , it's not good enough to run game full speed . Majority of games like MKWii , SMG , Kirby , Metroid run below full speed . Only light-weight games can run full speed
His GPU GT 740 is Kepler that supports DX12 which is much more efficient than the other backend (dx12 lower GPU/CPU requirement). I can guaranteed his GPU can handle at least 3xIR (if it's GT 740 DDR3 ) or 4xIR (if it's GT 740 GDDR5) . Upgrading GPU won't improve his FPS at all unless he uses higher IR than 2x
If he went straight from Nehalem to Skylake , he would have 60% improvement in speed