Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: is my CPU good enough for Dolphin at max settings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

crowruin

Specs:
Windows 10 64-bit
i5 6500 @ 3.20GHz
8.00GB Kingston hyperx
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

I notice whenever I play Super Smash bros brawl on DX11 and 12 on IR 3x (1080p) I get frame drops.

I also tried it on OpenGL and its the same thing.
That's weird.

Is Internal Resolution the only option you changed? Often times weird things like this happen because the user messed with a setting they shouldn't have and forgot about it.

crowruin

(05-08-2016, 04:54 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]That's weird.

Is Internal Resolution the only option you changed? Often times weird things like this happen because the user messed with a setting they shouldn't have and forgot about it.

cant post image links since its not working for me but here are all my current settings.

Backend: Dx11

Fullscreen Res: 1920x1080

IR 3x (1080p)

Anti-aliasing - none

Anisptropic filtering: 8x

scaled efb copy - checked

force texture filtering - checked

per pixel lighting - checked

widescreen hack - checked

EFB

skip EFB access from cpu - checked

ignore format changes - checked

store EFB copies to storage - checked

texture cache - Fast

EFB Buffer

Disabled

Other

Fast depth calc - checked

disable Bouncing box - checked

CPU overclock over ride is checked but left at default
Those settings look correct.

Just to be sure -- when you say "frame drops", does the framerate drop then go back up? Or just stay at <60?

crowruin

(05-08-2016, 06:05 PM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Those settings look correct.

Just to be sure -- when you say "frame drops", does the framerate drop then go back up? Or just stay at <60?

yeah they drop then go back up.
Sounds like shader compilation.

Because we're an emulator and not a game engine, we don't know what shaders we'll need to compile ahead of time until we need them. So we compile as they're needed. This will cause some stuttering for that game until shaders are compiled, and then they're cached and will stay cached until you either update dolphin or update your GPU drivers, which will invalidate the shader cache.

crowruin

(05-09-2016, 12:45 PM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like shader compilation.

Because we're an emulator and not a game engine, we don't know what shaders we'll need to compile ahead of time until we need them. So we compile as they're needed. This will cause some stuttering for that game until shaders are compiled, and then they're cached and will stay cached until you either update dolphin or update your GPU drivers, which will invalidate the shader cache.

you were right it was the shaders I just tried the ishiiruka dolphin mod and its perfect on Brawl no stuttering at all on 3x IR.
I suppose if you don't mind broken and unstable effects.
Fortunately, ubershaders are being worked on. Amazes me to see devs always find solutions to problems that were previously thought to be unsolvable.
ubershaders were a known solution for awhile, it was just the huge amount of work to make them a thing.

I don't know if the dev working on ubershaders is actively working on it atm.
Pages: 1 2