Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Stuttering from Load Custom Textures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've used the texture replacement option in Zelda The Wind Waker to have much nicer textures(and added lovely bloom shader) but I continue to get stuttering when loading textures

Is someone working on fixing this?
My Idea was being able to simply re-compress the modified textures back into the game would be the best solution but I honestly don't know where the textures are coming from and how to go about replacing them, I know having the dolphin re-compress games would be very illegal so I'm hoping they can fix the the stuttering soon

If anyone knows how how I could go about fixing the stuttering let me know.
You can reduce the shuttering by checking "Prefetch Custom Textures" in the same place where you enabled custom Textures (Graphics -> Advanced and there you'll find it). This way it loads all the custom textures at the start of the game to avoid having to read the textures live from the hard drive (it can be slow, but it shouldn't), but also uses (way) more memory.
If you're using Hypatia's pack, you likely won't be able to preload all of the textures. The author says they have 12 or 16GB (I don't remember precisely) of memory and they still cannot prefetch them… You would probably need to reduce the textures' sizes if you want to preload them.
Prefetching is not really an option, there is a reduced size version that takes up about 8gb instead of the full 32gb of memory but it looks pretty bad... I've been able to also recompress a lot of the images so the whole packs files take up only half the space on the computer without losing quality but it still stutters
also I only have 8gb of memory
Compressing even more is not going to help, since you're making Dolphin do extra work for each texture it has to load and decompress. If you can't use the reduced size version, I'm afraid there are no other solutions...
What I used to do was disable parts of the texture pack from loading by moving them to somewhere else temporarily, until I unlocked the area in the game.
I'm just compressing the texture images, the compression is just removing extra and sometimes unnecessary information, nothing else, its helped with the stuttering a bit actually but unless i know exactly which files are too big(like the particles in the title screen) its hard to figure out whats really causing the lag, but some textures are obviously enlarged too much
The biggest issue is Dolphin itself, this issue isnt going to go away until they fix it.. I'm using an SSD.. I shouldn't have loading issues Tongue
You're actually mistaken on where the stuttering is coming from. It's not loading it from the hard drive at that point, it's decoding on the GPU that takes time. Which is why there's an option to preload all custom textures. That has them decoded in ram. If you don't have enough ram for that, then, that's probably why there's a lot of stuttering. Decoding large amounts of textures is expensive.
Its loading it from the hard drive into dolphin, into my gpu and out into dolphin.. pretty sure dolphin is the problem Tongue pretty sure the way its being loaded and decoded is programmed into dolphin
I have a gtx 960.. I can play dark souls III on ultra idk why this would give me issues haha
Pages: 1 2