Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Extreme Slowdowns with Dolphin 4.0-8530-x64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The emulator was working fine until today, when I decided to update Avast. I did so and then restarted. When I ran MKWii, I got a solid 60fps until the number of players selection screen. The audio was suddenly terribly choppy and the game ran at below 30 frames..making it unplayable. So I thought another restart would fix it. Turns out it didnt and the game still lagged. This has never happened before. Now even gamecube games are dropping to 22 frames from the standard 30. What's weird is that I tested Black Flag, Left 4 Dead 2 (super smooth gameplay), Battlefield 3, and a few other games and their performance wasn't altered- so I don't think I can blame it on a faulty GPU or anything. Any ideas on what to do? Dolphin is basically the only thing I use on this laptop these days and I don't want to lose that. Thanks in advance.
I know Avast likes to try to sandbox apps sort-of-VM-style if it doesn't recognize it.

Can you try disabling your Anti-virus, rebooting, and see if it happens again?
Update: Tried 4.0-9281, same result. Going to try the disable and reboot in a moment.
Update 2: Disabling Avast seemed to fix some of the issues. In game races were back at playable speeds (but lower than 50fps) but menus were still slow and audio was still choppy. This is weird..
Try the laptop performance guide
Btw , your GPU supports dx12 . So if you're on Windows 10 and you use dx12 , you will get much more speed than other backend
(05-05-2016, 03:53 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Try the laptop performance guide
Btw , your GPU supports dx12 . So if you're on Windows 10 and you use dx12 , you will get much more speed than other backend

I tried windows 10 a couple months ago. Locked all my games to 60fps and added in more screen tearing. I'll stay on 8.1 for better performance. Also I think my laptop doesn't have all windows 10 drivers yet.
Can you open task manager while playing, put it next to the emulation window and have the Performance tab open so we can see CPU usage and clock speed and take a screenshot?

Since it's better but not perfect again I'm wondering if Avast is doing something weird to your CPU clock speed. I've seen it do strange things before. Anti-virus is really invasive on a system.

I do believe though that if you're running at minimum, 8.1, Windows Defender is a okay anti-malware solution. Back in Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender were split and it was confusing and made Defender rather pointless. In Windows 8 MS merged the two applications into Windows Defender (And Smartscreen as a separate system), so if you're not prone to getting malware (read, you run adblock, keep your browser updated and don't click on every link ever), you're fine to ditch avast and just keep Defender and UAC on. I do NOT recommend doing this if you are running anything lower than 8.1
Quote:Locked all my games to 60fps and added in more screen tearing
I don't have screen tearing issue or any graphic issue on my end . Maybe there are some games that don't run well dx12 idk
I only tested a few games like MKW , NSMB , TLS ,SMBB, SMBMelee , Xenoblade . These games run very well without issue
Got 35-60% speed boost over dx11 and opengl
(05-05-2016, 04:26 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]Can you open task manager while playing, put it next to the emulation window and have the Performance tab open so we can see CPU usage and clock speed and take a screenshot?

Since it's better but not perfect again I'm wondering if Avast is doing something weird to your CPU clock speed. I've seen it do strange things before. Anti-virus is really invasive on a system.

I do believe though that if you're running at minimum, 8.1, Windows Defender is a okay anti-malware solution. Back in Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender were split and it was confusing and made Defender rather pointless. In Windows 8 MS merged the two applications into Windows Defender (And Smartscreen as a separate system), so if you're not prone to getting malware (read, you run adblock, keep your browser updated and don't click on every link ever), you're fine to ditch avast and just keep Defender and UAC on. I do NOT recommend doing this if you are running anything lower than 8.1

I have 8.1 so I might give this a shot. I'm just thinking, Avast might leave some residual stuff that can still mess around with my emulation frames even after uninstalling..
Anyways I'll get the task manager/dolphin screenshot in just a minute.
(05-05-2016, 02:05 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have screen tearing issue or any graphic issue on my end . Maybe there are some games that don't run well dx12 idk
I only tested a few games like MKW , NSMB , TLS ,SMBB, SMBMelee , Xenoblade . These games run very well without issue
Got 35-60% speed boost over dx11 and opengl

I'm talking about other games like Black Ops 2, which gave me 100fps on 8.1 then locked to 60 on W10.
Pages: 1 2