Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mobile CPU i6700
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Tagor

Hi thair i want to buy an laptop with an i6700 CPU and now want to know if i can render Gamcubegames in 1080p with this laptop thanks.

Hallo Ich will mir einen Laptop mit einem I7 6700 holen und nun möchte ich gerne wissen ob es möglich ist mit diesem Prozessor die Gamecube games in 1080p zu rendern.
Vielen Dank für Eure Antwort.
Welcome to the forums Smile
First off, that CPU doesn't exist. Please double check the specs as to what the actual CPU model is. Its probably the i7-6700HQ, but we need to make sure Smile

Secondly, the CPU doesn't determine if you can run 1080p, that would be the graphics card (GPU). Please check which GPU is paired with the laptop. The CPU only determines if you can play the game at full speed or not.

Google Translate with what little German I know:
Willkommen in den Foren Smile
Zunächst einmal, dass die CPU nicht existiert. Bitte überprüfen Sie die Spezifikationen, was die tatsächliche CPU-Modell. Es ist wahrscheinlich, dass es die i7-6700HQ ist, aber wir müssen sicherstellen, dass Smile

Zweitens führt die CPU nicht bestimmen, ob Sie 1080p laufen kann, das würde die Grafikkarte (GPU) sein. Bitte prüfen Sie, welche GPU ist mit dem Laptop gepaart. Die CPU bestimmt, ob Sie das Spiel mit voller Geschwindigkeit oder nicht spielen kann.
Hi,

I run on an i5 Laptop, and while I do not consistently play in 1080p, my laptop seems to run all gamecube games fine at 100% performance. I usually run them at 2.5X max because both my laptop screen and TV i've hooked it up to are 768p, so im already exceeding it's native resolution.

But yes, for your question, if you have an i7 laptop, Dolphin should run just fine even if you're running with the embedded chipset (provided you have a decent amount of physical RAM for the chipset to play with).
Erm, that's not how it works. You could have an outdated i7 or a ULV i7 CPU, and a recent i5 or i3 would work better than the i7. And RAM doesn't really matter for Dolphin's emulation speed.
(05-04-2016, 03:01 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Erm, that's not how it works. You could have an outdated i7 or a ULV i7 CPU, and a recent i5 or i3 would work better than the i7. And RAM doesn't really matter for Dolphin's emulation speed.

Well .. my laptop has a ULV i5. I'm running Dolphin pretty good on it, but yes my laptop is a 2015 5200u model so I guess that's a factor too.

And the reason I said RAM is because the internal graphics chipset's available memory usage increases proportionally, but if you have a dedicated GPU, I guess it's a moot point then.
Yeah, since it's a recent ULV, it's not too bad. Well, that wasn't really my point, just wanted to point out that an i7 is not always better to an i5 Wink (sounds obvious but not to everybody)

I don't think the amount of memory is the bottleneck with the integrated graphics (they could as well have 32GB and they would still be pretty weak), but yes, the iGPU does share system memory.
Haswell ULVs hit their thermal limit before they start to throttle pretty quickly in "ultrathin" ultrabook form factors. They have a tiny tiny tiny fan and expect a lot of heat dissipation to be passive through the chassis. If you have a half decent heatsink and fan it won't be that bad and will perform fine. Seen this from personal experience as well. Skylake is even nicer about that.

I'm guessing that's what's going on here. They have an okay heatsink. And for a ULV that's all you really need for an *okay*, but by no means perfect run with Dolphin.

I dunno much about how laptops handle system memory allocation for iGPUs, I imagine in a lot of systems it's a predefined value you can't change in firmware. I know with most desktop boards you can, but I'd like to think with most systems now a days you have more than enough RAM to run Dolphin and have your GPU taking system memory. Dolphin doesn't use that much unless you start getting into texture packs.

The only thing I know matters with RAM is if you're using an iGPU/APU, RAM speed does matter. There is a fairly decent perf bump with faster RAM speeds.
@KHg8m3r: The CPU model -does- exist, it´s just that OP posted it wrong.

http://ark.intel.com/es/products/series/...eries#@All

Looking at this page, he is referring to a whole CPU series with that number.
Oh. uh. That's really old.... And Mobile.
(05-05-2016, 11:23 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]@KHg8m3r: The CPU model -does- exist, it´s just that OP posted it wrong.

http://ark.intel.com/es/products/series/...eries#@All

Looking at this page, he is referring to a whole CPU series with that number.

That's the i7-600 SERIES, there's not actually an i7-600
Pages: 1 2