Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Suddenly, Dolphin now crashes on start-up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

raccoontwos

I have checked many other threads online and haven't found an answer. I'm sure it's something small and silly that I am overlooking, so I'm wondering if you guys can help. Dolphin worked fine for me, and I was playing it as normal, but I seldom restart my PC. One day I had an update for Windows 10 and an update for Radeon Catalyst Control Center at the same time. I installed AMD's update, and Win10 installed itself since they don't give you a choice any longer, and restarted my PC. From that point onward, Dolphin crashes the very second it starts up, and windows displays that dolphin has stopped working. I have tried other solutions, including deleting dolphin and the documents dolphin emulator folder and reinstalling everything. I also repaired every C++ and .net framework thingy on my computer to make sure it wasn't that. I downgraded Radeon CCC to what it was before, and changed permissions for dolphin.exe, disabled read-only on it and all folders it was in. I disabled windows firewall and defender and nothing changed. The only thing I can think of is the windows 10 update, but why wouldn't anyone else have this problem? It's been about 2 weeks now and I can't use dolphin at all. The log file in C:\...\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Logs is completely empty. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

raccoontwos

Bump... Anyone?
Try updating your gpu driver manually. You can also try the portable trick to see if it's some setting that causes the problem. Just create a portable.txt next to the Dolphin.exe. Don't forget to delete that again, it changes the location of your saves as well.

Also how exactly does it crash?

raccoontwos

In regard to it crashing: The second I double-clicked on the dolphin.exe file, dolphin UI would pop up and at the same time the error message from windows would pop up stating that dolphin.exe has stopped working. After closing that, dolphin, too, would close. It was like that for every possible solution I tried, but I hadn't ever thought of (or heard of) doing portable.txt. Once I did that dolphin loaded fine. I closed it, and deleted the txt file, and opened it again, and it was like nothing was ever wrong. For that, I owe you a big thank you! I would like to know exactly what went wrong so I can aim to prevent similar situations in the future, and to maybe help others avoid it as well. What would cause such a problem with dolphin?