Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What Version is in the Arch Linux Repository and is it supported?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

So I switched to Linux as my host OS, I have been using it for a while but what I am confused on is if I am using a new or old version of dolphin. In the official Arch Linux repositories there is a package named dolphin-emu 1:5.0rc-2 so I assume its a release candidate for version 5. The problem is, its unclear what branch this build comes from and if I go to Help -> About it doesn't give me a branch or revision or anything. Does Arch Linux even use a supported branch? How can I get the dev versions on Arch Linux and am I using a decent build? I though the rc-2 for version 5 was old as the hills now. I don't even see a place to download version 5 for windows anymore.

Also kinda unrelated but since I have this thread up, my banners aren't working for my wii games, I just get a box with an X through it.

Thxs,
It's because we scrapped the 5.0 rc system and are releasing 5.0 t6he way we always have, that package hasn't updated. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dolphin-emu-git/ seems to be sort of updated, up until a few months ago.

I would recommend just compiling dolphin yourself. Keeping it updated through a package kinda bites you because whenever you update Dolphin, you invalidate your shader cache and have to recompile shaders, which causes stuttering during play.

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...tributions
(04-27-2016, 12:23 PM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]It's because we scrapped the 5.0 rc system and are releasing 5.0 t6he way we always have, that package hasn't updated. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dolphin-emu-git/ seems to be sort of updated, up until a few months ago.

I would recommend just compiling dolphin yourself. Keeping it updated through a package kinda bites you because whenever you update Dolphin, you invalidate your shader cache and have to recompile shaders, which causes stuttering during play.

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...tributions

Hey thanks for your time and I appreciate your work, I will compile it from source. A few more things worth mentioning though, I am not sure if your familiar with the Arch User Repository but I see some dev releases on there but they seem to be outdated too. I am not much impressed with an OS that claims to have bleeding edge updates. Also what is your thoughts on retroarch? I actually prefer it to standalone emulators, when you compile dolphin as a libretro core do you get the same functionality as just plain dolphin? Do you support libretro? Whats you opinion of retroarch from a developmental stand point?
libretro does dumb things to Dolphin and breaks it. I don't actually know if they have a working port yet. Last I looked at it they forked Dolphin, broke it trying to integrate it, and no real work has been done to fix that. Not to mention that their configuration system just flat out wouldn't really work with a Wii. How would you configure a wiimote using libretro's system?

Arch Linux and Dolphin have a weird relationship. They tried to keep a package updated, but then stopped. Then somebody in AUR tried to keep a package updated, and then stopped. Not to mention broke Dolphin for awhile because they weren't disabling PIE, which the x86_64 JIT breaks with.

It's recommended for most Linux distros to just compile dolphin, if for no other reason than you won't have your package manager screw your shader cache with an update when you didn't want it to.
Awesome, compiling worked like a charm with the link you sent me. I am on 4.0-9237 now and am happy with this, I might not have time to compile every release but I think I can stay more up to date more than the AUR. Last question and we can let this thread die, when you do 'sudo make install' and install to root, how do you uninstall? Also do I need to uninstall when I am compiling a newer version to avoid that shader problem?
There is no way to avoid the shader problem when you update Dolphin. You invalidate your shader cache. My recommendation is to just not update every dev release. Maybe keep an eye on the progress reports each month and see if there are any performance enhancements, fixes or features you care about, and then upgrade.

I don't actually know how to uninstall Dolphin. When you update the source and recompile, a sudo make install should over write everything properly. I think. Somebody else might want to chime in on what happens for the GameINIs.
(04-27-2016, 11:37 AM)dcj123 Wrote: [ -> ]Also kinda unrelated but since I have this thread up, my banners aren't working for my wii games, I just get a box with an X through it.

They are only available after creating a save file.