Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best Quality and Performance Option for my Rig
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before I get into the games i'm looking to emulate i will provide my specs first

PC Specs:
Processor: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz
RAM: 24 GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GT620 DDR3 1GB
HDD: 1 TB WDC WD10EZRX-00A8LB0
Monitor 1: Acer H243H @ 1080p
Monitor 2: HP w2007 @ 1680x1050 60Hz
Mobo: Asus P6T SE
Accessories : Official WiiU Gamecube Adapter, Mayflash Dolphin Sensor Bar @ Firmware V5 and Official Xbox360 Wired Controller

Game that i currently emulate:
All GC/Wii Zelda Games
All GC/Wii Resident Evil Games
All Wii Metroid Games
Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Paper Mario:TTYD
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Epic Mickey
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy

my config for my games are as followed:
Dolphin: Ishiiruka-Dolphin Latest
Render: Direct3D 11
Fullscreen Res:Auto
AR: Stretch
IR:2x
AA:None
AF:4x
Scaled EFB Copy:On
Force Texture Filtering:On
Disable Texture Filtering:On
Widescreen Hack:Off
Disable Fog:Off
Per-Pixel Lighting:On
Phong Lighting:on
Texture Scaling Mode:Bicubic 2x with DePosterize

Hacks Enabled

Fast EFB Access
Ignore Format Changes
Store EFB copies to Texture Only
Texture Cache Accuracy: Fast
External Frame Buffer: Disabled
Bounding Box: Disabled
Fast Depth Calculation:Enabled
Full Async Shader Compilation: Enabled

Advanced Features Enabled

Load Custom Textures
Prefetch Custom Textures
Cache Custom Textures on GPU (Zelda Games have this Off)
Load Custom Material Maps
Enable Progressive Scan
Keep settings at default, that's about as "lightweight" as you can get.

Your rig is dated, but not all that bad. Still better than the average build here.

The only thing I'd think of is that you might not be able to push your internal resolution above 2x with your GPU being pretty weak.
(04-23-2016, 05:08 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]Keep settings at default, that's about as "lightweight" as you can get.

Your rig is dated, but not all that bad. Still better than the average build here.

The only thing I'd think of is that you might not be able to push your internal resolution above 2x with your GPU being pretty weak.

I have plans to upgrade the video card to a NVIDIA GeForce Titan X as well as my processor to a i7 990x in the near future .
It might be a better investment instead of the 990x CPU which is still very very very expensive, look into a skylake chip + mobo + RAM. At this point the difference between Westmere and Skylake is huge and the only thing that will improve with the 990x is more multi-core performance, which will be sorta good for media editing tasks, but mostly a waste for games and especially emulation. You'll waste a lot of money for not that big of an improvement by sticking to that chipset.
Titan X is not any faster than GTX 980 Ti but cost much higher
6th gen i7 is twice as fast as 1st gen i7 . i7 990X is not cheaper than i7 6700k , even if you count on multithread performance , it's still slower
See benchmark :
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/444?vs=1543
You should sell your rig and build one from scratch
Just to let u guys know this rig is actually not my gaming rig, it's a multi-tasker. It does video production, graphical production, video streaming, video editing as well as DLNA Sharing, streaming to YouTube/Twitch and gaming, hence the reason for the 990X processor and Titan X, otherwise yes I would go with a GTX 980Ti
According to geekbench, Skylake smokes the 990x in multicore as well.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/6206146

https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/6054160

I would really consider a skylake system over spending hundreds on a 5 year old CPU.
Quote:Just to let u guys know this rig is actually not my gaming rig, it's a multi-tasker. It does video production, graphical production, video streaming, video editing as well as DLNA Sharing, streaming to YouTube/Twitch and gaming, hence the reason for the 990X processor and Titan X, otherwise yes I would go with a GTX 980Ti
Does this have anything to do with the tittle you posted :"Best Quality and Performance" ? 1st gen i7 is a terrible choice for Dolphin
The recommended CPU for Dolphin is i5 4670k , 1st gen i7 is much worse for Dolphin since Dolphin is a dual core application
In Dolphin Benchmark , Mobile i3 4100M @ 2.4GHz blows i7 920 @ 2.93GHz out of water . i7 990x is just slightly faster than i7 920 due to higher clock speed
Demanding games won't run well on i7 990x
Little advice. Play Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy on PS2/PCSX2. PS2 version has better textures and button to center camera.
My old system has basically died, so i'm looking for suggestions again on my new laptop

It is an HP OMEN 17-W253DX
with an Intel i7-7700HQ @ 2.8 GHz
12GB of Ram
It's running a Dual GPU of Intel HD 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti with the NVIDIA having NVIDIA Optimus
it has 1,128 GB of Storage on 2 drives, This 128GB is a SSD and the 1TB is a HDD
it has Windows 10 Creator Edition Home X64 Version
And I am dual using Dolphin 5.0-3406 and Ishruka 926