Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My Laptop is getting micro stuttering while playing.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Aschuram

Hello everyone,
i have bought a new high end laptop the Msi GT72S-6QE Dominator Pro and it is pretty decent i guess (see signature).
But i am having some really annoying performance problems while playing on the dolphin emulator.
I am curently only playing Super Smash Bros Melee and Project M (mainly online) and i am getting attacked with some serious Fps Drops.
I already tried to configure the graphics settings down (laugh) but it still did not fix anything my Laptop did not even realize that his perfomance is getting heavier or weaker.

I have to say that the game mainly runs at 60 Fps but sometimes i get some fps drops to 47 most of the times for a second and then it keeps coming back randomly.
I can not imagine what is causing this to happen i already also went to my Nvidia settings and made a new task for the emulator to run it with high performance of my GPU and guess what, it did not do anything. Because of that my conclusion is that it is definately not the Performance of my Laptop, it should be rather a wrong setting and i can't seem to find out where the problem is.
I had an old Toshiba Laptop before who was also able to run the games at maximum graphics with constantly 60 Fps.

I also tried to turn on V-sync (I do have a G-sync screen thats why i always turn V-sync off) but it did not help either.

I am clueless to be honest and I would love to get some help of you guys.
I hope you have enough information to get a idea what I will have to do. If not, let me know please.

Thank you very much
shonumi Wrote:The microstuttering is usually a symptom of Dolphin generating its shader cache. It creates the shaders for later use, so it doesn't have to compile them again during runtime. Initially, you'll get slight stutters, but as you play longer, it should go away.

Of course, any part of the game that requires the GPU to generate new shaders (new levels, new special effects, new "graphics", etc) will bring up microstuttering. Generally though, the more you play, the less it happens.
You can not fix this . It happens on most emulators (PCSX2 , Dolphin , Cemu ...)
If you've already used DX12 and your CPU is running at maximum speed , there is probably nothing you can do
V-syns and other framelimit option have nothing to do with this
Yep. Just play through it. It'll go away. Because we're not a game engine but an emulator, we can't compile shaders before hand because we don't know what shaders a game will need until the game needs it.

It will come back though if you change OS, GPU drivers or Dolphin versions, just FYI.

Aschuram

But even my old laptop was able to run it smoothly guys.. Why is this new laptop not able to get it smoothly ?
You probably didn't notice it . There is supposedly a hiccup once for a while .
PCSX2 does that , Cemu also does that . If you don't believe me , you can try with other emulator