Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Looking to jump into (3D) Metroid... which version?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I played the GBA title years ago and enjoyed it, but other than that I've never really experienced Metroid. I'm looking to jump in to some of the 3D metroids; is there any reason to buy the Wii version over the GC version of Prime? I would prefer playing with a gamepad but are there any enhancements on the Wii version?

Also, what mods do people suggest? Are there High res texture packs out there that are faithful to the original art direction?

Thanks in advance.
The Wii version supports widescreen (you can do it on the GC version with hacks) and has some minor graphical improvements. It also fixed some sequence breaks that you're unlikely to run into if you're not actively looking for them. In my opinion, picking which version to buy based on what control scheme you prefer is the way to go.

By the way, if you have Metroid Fusion and are able to link it with the GameCube version of Metroid Prime (requires a special link cable if you're using real consoles, and you can't link between an emulator and a console, but you can link between emulators), you can unlock the original Metroid for the NES. (There's probably also a cheat code that you can use in Dolphin for unlocking it... Tongue) It's not a great game in my opinion, but I suppose it's a nice bonus.
You can unlock it in the Wii version as well I think via completing the game.
This is entirely my opinion, but I would go for the GC version just for the controls. Analogue sticks are better than motion control almost 100% of the time.
(04-17-2016, 02:19 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]You can unlock it in the Wii version as well I think via completing the game.

Nope. You can get the Fusion Suit without linking to a GBA, and you also get image galleries, some playable music tracks and the screenshot tool from Metroid Prime 3, but there's no NES Metroid.
(04-17-2016, 04:04 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]This is entirely my opinion, but I would go for the GC version just for the controls. Analogue sticks are better than motion control almost 100% of the time.

Motion control in metroid prime 3 is minimal (strafing and pushing of levers) and ir pointing is better imo.
Wii version has nicer controls. It is also refined. The Metroid Prime trilogy is better in most ways in my view. I like both versions, but the subtle changes in Trilogy are nice. One huge advantage is the morph ball. On the GC version, you can only use morph ball bombs to jump. As for Wii, you can simple flick the Wiimote up to jump.