Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Troubles with netplay? [solved]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Otolith

To start I'm very new to dolphin (2 days) so bare with me please.

My friends and I have been playing super smash bros. melee, and have had no problems with connectivity. All of our settings are as stated in the guides from the website. We got mario kart double dash and managed to play together through netplay. The problem however, is that it was so incredibly laggy. I tried changing the buffer around, and went all the way to 8 with no change in performance. For reference, we play smash at 2 (ping is usually 18ms).

Is there anything we're doing wrong? I've looked all over the internet where the only damn game anyone has tutorials for is smash.

In addition, is there something that applies to every game in order to get it work?

Thanks in advance Big Grin
Try the latest dev builds

Otolith

(04-14-2016, 07:36 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Try the latest dev builds

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what that means.

Edit: If it means development build, we're using 4.0-7840 which is the current

Otolith

Solution: I don't know why this wasn't more readily available, but for anyone who may stumble upon this:

GC games are made to run at 60fps and anything lower slows the game. So 30fps makes the game run at 50%. Not all games, but some are designed this way. Mario kart seems to be one of these games. Player 2 in this case had certain settings causing the game to run at 30fps for him. Because of this, it slowed it down for both of us.

tl;dr make sure its running at 60fps
4.0-7840 is not the latest dev build. The latest as of this post is 4.0-9215. You can get it here: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

Not all GC/Wii games are made to run at 60 fps as some do run at 30 (or 25/50 for PAL regions). A better way to see if a game is running at fullspeed is to see if the VPS is at 100 or not.
The VPS should say 60 if it's running fullspeed, but I'm assuming you meant 100%. Also, 7840 is a widely used dev version because it's the version they use over at at Smashladder.
Yes, I meant 100%, forgot the % sign.

They really need to upgrade or something, since there are so many people that come here with issues that are fixed after that version.
They only update when there's a specific benefit to Smash or the netplay experience. You could argue that the many changes made since that revision indirectly enhance the experience, but I guess the thinking is that if they update for trivial reasons, there will inevitably be some very confused people who didn't get the memo.
(04-14-2016, 03:04 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]They really need to upgrade or something, since there are so many people that come here with issues that are fixed after that version.

I haven't seen that many people with issues that have been fixed since 4.0-7840. I can't say the same about 4.0.2, though...
I would say that 4.0-8586 would be a big improvement, where Dolphin changed which part of a frame it would look for an input.