Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need help changing Global User Directory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently got an SSD and would like to move the Dolphin Emulator file to it because I load my HD Texture Packs to the RAM and I figured this process would be much faster on an SSD, looking around a bit I found this https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/cont...directory/ I understand most of it but the one thing I don't get is the final step where it says "Double click the "UserConfigPath" value and an Edit String dialog appears. Under "Value Data", enter the path to the custom User directory. Make sure that you include "User" in it, since it will assume whatever path it is directed to is the User folder. If you point it to the Desktop for example, you will have a very messy situation." specifically the bolded. Does this mean one of the files leading to the new directory has to be named "User"?
The next sentence might help a bit: "If you point it to the Desktop for example, you will have a very messy situation."

It means, the folder pointed to, is the folder where it stores its data. For example, if we point it to the Desktop, Dolphin would create the folders Desktop/GC, Desktop/Config etc.

Another example: By "default", dolphin thinks (made up, easier explaination) that the key is "Documents/Dolphin Emulator" and not "Documents/"
(04-12-2016, 03:23 AM)Neui Wrote: [ -> ]The next sentence might help a bit: "If you point it to the Desktop for example, you will have a very messy situation."

It means, the folder pointed to, is the folder where it stores its data. For example, if we point it to the Desktop, Dolphin would create the folders Desktop/GC, Desktop/Config etc.

Another example: By "default", dolphin thinks (made up, easier explaination) that the key is "Documents/Dolphin Emulator" and not "Documents/"

ahhh that makes sense, Thank You!