Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Texture Loading Size
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Unrul3r

Greetings!

Recently I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles and I've encountered a curious fact.

I've installed the HD Texture pack and I've noticed that Dolphin is loading 4.2Gb of textures instead of the texture's file size of 934Mb. I've tried the Ishiiruka version and it seems to load the correct amount. Task Manager also shows that Dolphin is taking up 4.3GB. I'm thinking this is not supposed to happen. Is this a known bug? If so, is there any work around?

Thank you!
This is not a bug. The reason that the textures take more space in RAM than on disk is that Dolphin needs to decompress them in order to use them. Ishiiruka has an additional feature that lets it use DDS textures without decompressing them in RAM (but not PNG or other image formats). This feature would be good to have in Dolphin, but it isn't in there right now. There is no workaround.

Unrul3r

(04-06-2016, 10:45 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]This is not a bug. The reason that the textures take more space in RAM than on disk is that Dolphin needs to decompress them in order to use them. Ishiiruka has an additional feature that lets it use DDS textures without decompressing them in RAM (but not PNG or other image formats). This feature would be good to have in Dolphin, but it isn't in there right now. There is no workaround.

I see. Thank you for the kind and quick reply!

Cheers!