Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FX 4300/6300
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

FlyingEmpy

Hi,
I own an old computer which uses an AMD Athlon X2 5000+. This CPU is way too weak in order to run Dolphin properly and I want to upgrade it.
My motherboard allows me to mount an FX 4300 or FX 6300 CPU instead. But I heard modern AMD CPUs are not great to be used with Dolphin.
Does someone experienced those CPUs with Dolphin (especially Mario Sunshine/Mario Kart Double Dash!!) and does it run properly ? Should I choose FX 4300 or FX 6300 : does it really matter in this case ?
Thank you for your answers,
Empy
Quote:But I heard modern AMD CPUs are not great to be used with Dolphin
To tell it straight , it was a nightmare . Bulldozer suppose to be an upgrade for Phenom yet it's slower clock per clock . Current Piledriver is only on par with Phenom . All those years , AMD increased the core count and absolutely forgot about performance per core

If you asked this question in 2015 , I would recommend you to replace the mobo and get latest Intel i3 instead
But now we have DX12 . As long as your GPU supports it and you're using Windows 10 , Current AMD CPU will do just fine since DX12 is 50-60% faster than DX11
Base on Official Dolphin Benchmark , FX 8120 @ 4.2GHz is almost as fast as 4th gen i3 4000M @ 2.4GHz which is ok . I underclock my 4th gen i7 down to 2.0GHz and it still runs most games full speed
If you're into overclocking , you should buy FX 6300 and overclock the hell out of it . Otherwise , just buy FX-4350 , it has 4.2GHz stock speed which is pretty high

FlyingEmpy

(04-06-2016, 12:59 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]To tell it straight , it was a nightmare . Bulldozer suppose to be an upgrade for Phenom yet it's slower clock per clock . Current Piledriver is only on par with Phenom . All those years , AMD increased the core count and absolutely forgot about performance per core  

If you asked this question in 2015 , I would recommend you to replace the mobo and get latest Intel i3 instead
But now we have DX12 . As long as your GPU supports it and you're using Windows 10 , Current AMD CPU will do just fine since DX12 is 50-60% faster than DX11
Base on Official Dolphin Benchmark , FX 8120 @ 4.2GHz is almost as fast as 4th gen i3 4000M @ 2.4GHz which is ok . I underclock my 4th gen i7 down to 2.0GHz and it still runs most games full speed
If you're into overclocking , you should buy FX 6300 and overclock the hell out of it . Otherwise , just buy FX-4350 , it has 4.2GHz stock speed which is pretty high

Hi, thank you for your answer.
I already got a PC using i5 6600K but I have another PC that I currently use as a HTPC. As I said, the Athlon X2 5000+ is certainly way too weak for Dolphin and I want to upgrade the CPU in order to play some GC/Wii games. My mobo is low entry one : http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS4%20FX/ and I'm quite sure OC will be impossible or useless.
The real question is : is the difference between FX 4300 and FX 6300 (eventually FX 8320E could be considered as it's "only" 95W TDP) worth the price for Dolphin or not ?
FYI, this PC is equiped with an AMD HD 5850 or 5870, I don't remember exactly. It is an old GPU tho.
Dolphin is just like PCSX2 , Dolphin will not use all the cores/threads of your CPU , mainly focus on 2 cores/threads
FX 4xxx / 6xxx/ 8xxx will have the same performance . So go with the highest clock : FX 4350 instead
Edit :
Quote:FYI, this PC is equiped with an AMD HD 5850 or 5870, I don't remember exactly. It is an old GPU tho.
Only HD 7xxx or newer model support DX12 . So the two light-weight games you mentioned will run well , demanding games won't

FlyingEmpy

(04-06-2016, 01:22 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin is just like PCSX2 , Dolphin will not use all the cores/threads of your CPU , mainly focus on 2 cores/threads
FX 4xxx / 6xxx/ 8xxx will have the same performance . So go with the highest clock : FX 4350 instead
Edit :
Only HD 7xxx or newer model support DX12 . So the two light-weight games you mentioned will run well , demanding games won't

Okay I will go for the FX 4300 (my mobo only allows 95W or less TDP).
Thank you !