Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How would this computer fare in dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I finally decided that I'd build a computer. Yay me.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/XxBqYJ

I'm on a pretty strict budget (Under 1000 CAD) so if you have any recommendations, try to make sure that they aren't huge.

I'm looking to play pretty much everything. From Animal Crossing to Xenoblade Chronicles.

:3
That build will do Dolphin just fine on most games! As well as tons of PC games available today. I think the super stressful games you might struggle with because of the average clockspeed that you can't overclock? So I think like, maaaaybe the rogue squadron games might lag a little. That's all I can really think of. But, that's sort of difficult to build around without going over budget because you're limited to Canada things. But that's okay. Still a really good build.

Are you just looking to do Dolphin? Or do you have interests in other games too? Because if you play other games, then this build is great. If you just like emulators, then you can go way cheaper with a G3258 and a GTX 750 ti
(04-04-2016, 02:27 PM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]That build will do Dolphin just fine on most games! As well as tons of PC games available today. I think the super stressful games you might struggle with because of the average clockspeed that you can't overclock? So I think like, maaaaybe the rogue squadron games might lag a little. That's all I can really think of. But, that's sort of difficult to build around without going over budget because you're limited to Canada things. But that's okay. Still a really good build.

Are you just looking to do Dolphin? Or do you have interests in other games too? Because if you play other games, then this build is great. If you just like emulators, then you can go way cheaper with a G3258 and a GTX 750 ti

I am looking to play other games and whatnot, which is why I have such a beefy graphics card there. I also don't play the Rouge Squadron games, Xenoblade will probably be the heaviest game I play, so I'm not worried if the Rouge Squadron games will stutter a bit. Would going with an OC-able CPU be worth it?
Xenoblade will play fine on it, I've played it just fine on a lesser CPU before. You'll get some shader compilation for a little bit when fighting new monsters, but those go away pretty quickly.

Ehhh, an overclockable CPU is nice, but it's a dice roll on how high you can overclock. You might get a chip that overclocks to 4.8 ghz! You might get one that only wants to push a couple hundred extra mhz. If you really wanted to push your budget for that extra performance, I would say it would be a better idea to go with Skylake CPUs, simply because intel chips (At least in the US) tend to not drop in price all that much. I don't know about Canada.

For your build, I wouldn't worry about it. We're pretty efficient with the JIT in the latest development builds of Dolphin, and the gamble of getting a good overclockable chip isn't worth pushing your budget for making the maybe... 3 or so games that might lag a little lag slightly less.
Sounds good. Shader Compilation is something that's unavoidable pretty much everywhere, so I'm not worried about a little bit of it.

Thanks for the help! :3
Yep , Xenoblade is not a demanding game anymore
I underclock the CPU down to 2.0GHz and use the performance killer : "EFB to RAM" , 3xIR . I still have 150% speed in game
The most demanding game : The Last Story is the only game that couldn't run full speed on a 3.4GHz Haswell before . With the new DX12 backend , It runs full speed now
So
Quote:Would going with an OC-able CPU be worth it?
For Dolphin , No
For sth other than Dolphin like Wii U Emulator : Cemu then Yes
(04-04-2016, 05:22 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Yep , Xenoblade is not a demanding game anymore
I underclock the CPU down to 2.0GHz and use the performance killer : "EFB to RAM" , 3xIR . I still have 150% speed in game
The most demanding game : The Last Story is the only game that couldn't run full speed on a 3.4GHz Haswell before . With the new DX12 backend , It runs full speed now
So
For Dolphin , No
For sth other than Dolphin like Wii U Emulator : Cemu then Yes

Good to know that Xenoblade will be fine. I was actually thinking of doing some Cemu and Citra, but I'm not too worried about those, they're more of an interest and a curiosity to me right now, and I already own a 3DS and Wii U, so I'm good. I was considering some PS2 emulation as well, but not too worried about that either, PCSX2 is decent. Thanks for the tips. :3
PCSX2 will run fine on that build as well.

How Citra and Cemu runs now isn't a good indicator of how things will look down the road. They're both very new and not terribly accurate. They could run faster as they develop more (I'm sure Citra will run a lot faster once they get a proper JIT), or they could run slower when they get more accurate. Nobody really knows right now!
(04-05-2016, 01:36 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]PCSX2 will run fine on that build as well.

How Citra and Cemu runs now isn't a good indicator of how things will look down the road. They're both very new and not terribly accurate. They could run faster as they develop more (I'm sure Citra will run a lot faster once they get a proper JIT), or they could run slower when they get more accurate. Nobody really knows right now!

This is all true.

Also, I guess I might as well ask in this thread instead of making a new one: I sometimes with my current computer have problems running full speed when going 3x IR, and I'm wondering what's causing my problems. Is it my CPU? I would guess it is because a 960M seems to be good enough for dolphin.
We have FAQ for that
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#my-lap...-it-should
Just out of curiosity , why would you need to build a pc while you already have a more powerful laptop ? I'm pretty sure your laptop will run Dolphin faster than the desktop if you force max performance out of the laptop
Though I have two gaming desktops , I have no use for them nowadays .
Pages: 1 2