Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OpenAL - no sound in fullscreen mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all!

I get no sound from the OpenAL backend if I switch to fullscreen mode (by pressing alt+enter), and the sound doesn't return when I switch back to windowed.

However the sound works just fine at all times if I use the XAudio2 backend.

The reason I want to use OpenAL is because it has a nice Dolby PLII decoder, which allows me to enjoy good quality surround sound.

Now, some additional info which may be relevant:

I upgraded to the latest Dolphin (4.0-9175) build to test this, it didn't fix my problem, but now Twilight Princess runs at 80% on Hyrule Field instead of 100% so I'll go back to what I had before (4.0-8854). <-- edit, ignore this bit, it was a silly setting change that I made. All good now!

And there's also a "Borderless Fullscreen" setting in the graphics options, which I imagine is supposed to behave like the "Windowed Borderless" option in the PC version of GTA V where it can go fullscreen without a window frame around it, but I don't seem to notice any difference with that on or off.

I'm using a laptop (specs here) with Win10 x64 to run Dolphin and I have this connected to a home theater system through an HDMI cable.

I've had a few issues with some games on Steam which don't want to play well with the whole laptop > HDMI > amplifier setup but it's quite rare. Dirt Rally is an infamous one for not even allowing laptop users to switch to fullscreen at all if you output through HDMI. I'm thinking it maaaaaay be an issue with OpenAL, or it maaaaay be a weird quirk with the way this setup behaves, but I don't have a whole lot of hardware laying around to test it.

Any ideas, folks? Your help is very appreciated Smile
I'm semi-shamelessly bumping this thread, just to see if there are any suggestions.

Anyone?
I don't know exactly what could be causing your problem: to me OpenAL on the latest available dev build works fine on both Fullscreen mode and windowed. I have set it so when my emulation starts, it'll go fullscreen. (Use fullscreen option in the tab General of Dolphin config)
it might be your backed renderer, I have set mine to OpenGL.

I think the problem might be on your end though, your OpenAL might be screwed. On Windows iirc you can uninstall OpenAL via Programs and Features, try that and then install it again.