Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is the purpose of 'Unknown' in the Cheat Manager search?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

KHShadowrunner

From what I can tell, originally designed to help scan for something you dont know - which would be great. But with the options you have now (Unknown/Equal/Greater Than/Less Than/Not Equal), as soon as you start searching for an unknown, you're sort of stuck. There's no increment search, or even just a "changed" or "not changed", so you lose it as soon as you search for it.

Ultimately, I have a value in a game I know, but it gets added to some value that I DONT know. I want to try and find that value, but searching for an unknown value wont allow me to search again for if that value has increased by 3 or 4, I'd just search for a greater than (but I dont know what the value is).

Any suggestions for finding an unknown value?
The unknown/equal/not equal/greater than/less than choice is based on the previous searched value.

As you know the value in the game, start a new search and enter in the known value and select "equals". Perform the search and the cheat search will find a list of potential candidates. Then continue playing the game until the value has increased by the unknown amount. Enter the cheat search again and select "greater than" and clear out the field. Perform the search again and the cheat search will narrow down the potential candidates to the ones that have increased in value. Continue playing the game until the value has increased and repeat. If successful, the cheat search will eventually narrow down the candidates to one. That candidate is the address that you want to freeze or increase etc.

Hope that's clear.

KHShadowrunner

Thanks, as I was typing it up I realized nearly the same. The problem is I dont technically know the initial. But I am realizing that I can try to figure this out, so I will Smile Thanks!

EDIT: And found it. Couldn't exactly figure out the math - but I found the address and fiddled with it enough to get the result I wanted. Thanks again!
Yes, as you do not know the initial value, start a new Cheat Search and select "equals" and leave the field blank.  Click the search button and the Cheat Search will list every value in memory.  Continue the game and when the game increases the value, go back into the Cheat Search and select "greater than".  Clear out the field.  Search again and then continue playing the game and repeat.

The unknown value feature is useful for games where you don't know the value and the amount it changes by.  For example, the energy bar in Street Fighter II.