Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is the Dell xps 13 good enough to run dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

badnight11

My 4+ year old laptop isn't cutting it anymore and i wanted to buy a new laptop. I saw that the xps 13 would fit my needs perfectly. Its specs are

Processor
Intel Core i5-6200U 2.30 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.80 GHz
Memory
8GB LPDDR3 1866 MHz
Hard drive size
128GB SSD
Video
Intel HD Graphics 520 with shared graphics memory

on my current laptop dolphin runs at around 5-10 fps and i would be really happy to play in 30fps. Thank you
You should not buy it for Dolphin :
_It's expensive as hell
_It's weak , i3/i5/i7 xxxU stand for Ultra low voltage , ULV is bad since it will underclock itself to save more power . Intel HD 520 is slow and Intel is known for bad iGPU driver
_It's not a gaming laptop . Therefore , it does not have the sufficient cooling unit to handle intensive task such as Dolphin -> Overheating
For Dolphin , you should buy Gaming Laptop like this one
Quad Core i5 6300HQ CPU unlike that ULV dual core i5 , 256GB SSD , 3 heatsinks , GTX 960M = desktop GTX 750Ti . All for $800

badnight11

(03-23-2016, 11:31 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]You should not buy it for Dolphin :
_It's expensive as hell
_It's weak , i3/i5/i7 xxxU stand for Ultra low voltage , ULV is bad since it will underclock itself to save more power . Intel HD 520 is slow and Intel is known for bad iGPU driver
_It's not a gaming laptop . Therefor , it's not has the sufficient cooling unit to handle intensive task such as Dolphin -> Overheating
For Dolphin , you should buy Gaming Laptop like this one
Quad Core i5 6300HQ CPU unlike that ULV dual core i5 , 256GB SSD , 3 heatsinks , GTX 960M = desktop GTX 750Ti . All for $800

i'm sorry, but i forgot to mention that i planned on carrying the laptop with me and using it in school. that dell laptop is really heavy at 8.6 pounds. This was the xps 13 model i planned on getting http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msus....326871500 I thought this was a good price for it, was i mistaken?

Thank you for replying and helping me
Quote:I thought this was a good price for it, was i mistaken?
You pay $800 for a low end CPU , low end GPU , low storage drive and you still call it's good price ?
Quote:that dell laptop is really heavy at 8.6 pounds
That also include the packaging
it weighs 5.89 pounds according to notebookcheck's review
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspir...635.0.html
Btw , I found the answer for you . That Dell XPS 13 will not run game at playable speed due to overheating
The clock is reduced to 1.5GHz on full load . Keep in mind this is the i7 version , the i5 version is even worse due to lower default clock
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13...081.0.html
Quote:The XPS 13 i7 can get quite warm; we measured as much as 57 degrees Celsius (134.6 Fahrenheit) in some areas on the upper side and underside. We prompted these temperatures with our stress test that demands everything from the components. This test shows what the system does to control the waste heat in the worst case. It cannot be compared with normal use load, for example via video rendering.

The XPS 13 i7 manages this situation like its i5 sister model: The clock is clearly reduced to below the nominal clock of 2.5 GHz - i7 @ 1.5; i5 @ 1.4 GHz. The temperatures on the SoC climbed to just below 90 degrees (194 Fahrenheit) in both devices, and settled to around 80 degrees (176 Fahrenheit) after throttling stopped.
Dolphin is almost as demanding as Prime95
Almost as demanding as prime 95??? Wrong. I have a dell 2-in-1 with a i7 5500u that plays smash melee and can run mario galaxy at near full speed with 1x. Thats also an older build, with the latest build and Dx12 support I would think galaxy would play at 100%. Im also using 4600 graphics which are junk. One thing to remember is to set your intel graphics options to full power mode.

I would say go for it and if you dont like it return it. Nothing better than a new slim laptop Wink
Dolphin Benchmark does not lie . There is no ULV CPU could be faster than the Real Wii
If you compare clock for clock , i5 4200U should be faster than i3 4000M because the i5 has much higher turbo frequency . However , reality isn't that nice like you think it would be . In fact , the i3 is much faster than the i5
If you do a bit of research , most non-gaming laptop , especially ultrabook overheat with Dolphin . That just common sense here , these notebook ain't designed for intensive task like Dolphin .
I own 4 laptops , 3 of 'em are non-gaming laptop which overheat when I try Dolphin on .
Quote:I would say go for it and if you dont like it return it. Nothing better than a new slim laptop
Good for you then .
And btw , your i7 is broadwell , no way its iGPU would be Intel HD 4600
Oop your right, its 5500 durr whups. I can say tho that smg will work on 3x on my 5500u. i have not however played for more than 10 minutes or so. I know how the u's perform, I would assume it would get real hot over time. But it will work Wink
(03-23-2016, 11:21 AM)badnight11 Wrote: [ -> ]My 4+ year old laptop isn't cutting it anymore and i wanted to buy a new laptop. I saw that the xps 13 would fit my needs perfectly. Its specs are

Processor
Intel Core i5-6200U 2.30 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.80 GHz
Memory
8GB LPDDR3 1866 MHz
Hard drive size
128GB SSD
Video
Intel HD Graphics 520 with shared graphics memory

on my current laptop dolphin runs at around 5-10 fps and i would be really happy to play in 30fps. Thank you

The Razer Blade Stealth and Surface Pro 4 (i7) will better

After the Prime95 stress test these are their clocks

Surface Pro 4 (i7) : 3.2 ghz
Stealth: 2.8 ghz
XPS 13 (iris i7 which is better than the regular i7): 2.6

When running both Prime 95 stress test and Furmark stress test

1.3-1.4

I would personally get the stealth because the i7 surface pro plus a keyboard is way too expensive

sources:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Mi...031.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-Blade...204.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13...487.0.html
I doubt OP cares about this thread anymore, but meh. Just get that Dell one system that's like what, $800? And have a kickass system for Actual PC Games as well as the modest CPU power Dolphin needs. I can't remember the model nor do I care to google it because the OP probably isn't even watching this thread anymore. Wink
(05-09-2016, 02:11 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt OP cares about this thread anymore, but meh. Just get that Dell one system that's like what, $800? And have a kickass system for Actual PC Games as well as the modest CPU power Dolphin needs. I can't remember the model nor do I care to google it because the OP probably isn't even watching this thread anymore. Wink

That laptop is way too fat and heavy
Pages: 1 2