Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GPU Advice - GTX960 4k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

rekster

Hello everyone, hoping for some advice.

I have a Core i5 4690K, 8GB DDR3 1866, Win 7 64bit. I'm running the latest build of Dolphin.

I had an Asus GTX 750ti and found it wasn't powerful enough for 4k resolution. I'm picking up a new video card tomorrow and need some advice.

I'm current looking at the Asus STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5 as well as the Asus TURBO-GTX960-OC-4GD5.

I'm receiving conflicting information from my searches so would like some advice if either of these cards (or if one is better than the other) will be able to keep up with running Dolphin in 4k resolution. I'm well aware not all games will be working but I'm wondering if this card is sufficient for the bulk of them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
First, are you using the latest build as in the 2+ year old stable? Or the actual latest dev build?

If you use Windows 10 you can use our Direct X 12 backend which for many allows for much higher resolution or AA. It's currently missing a few features (Perf queries and bounding box), so Super Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario won't work right, but there's currently a working PR ready to be merged that adds those two features.

Otherwise, I think either will handle 4k with OpenGL? (OGL is really fast on nvidia) But I'm honestly not sure.

rekster

Thanks for the reply. I'm Using the latest dev build, well at least within the last week. I can update soon of course. I'm leaning towards the STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5 I think after reading a few reviews. It's a Direct X 12 card so that's good news. Also has a GM206 chip which apparently supports HEVC hardware decoding. I don't think that will benefit Dolphin at all but it's an added bonus.

I'd really like to avoid Windows 10 for other potential compatibility issues but if Direct X 12 is only supported in 10 I guess I have no choice if I want the cutting edge... Either way glad to see you are working on Direct X 12 support already!