Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is there any reason to use window size instead of 3xIR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My monitor has 1920x1080 native resolution and I am using 3xNative IR assuming this will cause fewer issues in games because it is an integral multiple of the native resolution.   I also use 4xMSAA and 16xAF.

Are there reasons, other than performance, to render the image at the exact window size?
The settings do different things. The window size lets you set how much of the screen you want Dolphin to cover. The IR is a graphical enhancement setting that allows you to render games in HD to improve their appearance. If your GPU is really weak, you might set the window size to 1920x1080 so that the game will fit your screen, but you might also be using 1x IR to reduce the load on your GPU and improve your FPS. IR is a multiple of the GC's default resolution, so you can't get the IR to exactly match the resolution of your monitor.
If you want to render a 4k screenshot on a 1080p monitor, you need to set the window size to 4K and use Dolphin's internal screenshot tool.
(03-22-2016, 06:45 AM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]The settings do different things. The window size lets you set how much of the screen you want Dolphin to cover. The IR is a graphical enhancement setting that allows you to render games in HD to improve their appearance. If your GPU is really weak, you might set the window size to 1920x1080 so that the game will fit your screen, but you might also be using 1x IR to reduce the load on your GPU and improve your FPS. IR is a multiple of the GC's default resolution, so you can't get the IR to exactly match the resolution of your monitor.

The question is about selecting "Auto (Window Size)" for the IR setting, which does let you use a non-integer IR scale.
Yes. That's what I'm after, whether there is a benefit to using non-integer scaling that matches the display's resolution or an integer scaling factor of the original which is then down-scaled to that resolution.
Eh, the only thing I can think of is if you really want screenshots the resolution of your display.

But, other than that, not really.
OK. Thanks everyone for the feedback. The hit for going from windows size to 3xIR is only 3.5% in the game I tested (SMS with HiRes textures), so I'm sticking with 3xIR.