Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [SOLVED] Steam Overlay suddenly failing to appear in Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Arc

I've been working on this for hours now, and Steams support has been- less than helpful, so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out a little more!

Yesterday, mid-day, for no apparent reason at all really, the big picture overlay stopped appearing for Dolphin games, and ONLY Dolphin games. This is enraging. The games are added through ICE. The Overlay still appears for every single non-dolphin game, but when I press the guide button on the 360 controller, instead of calling up the Steam Overlay like it's supposed to, the hook for the overlay fires, but it sends me just back to Big Picture, instead of calling up the overlay, leaving Dolphin running in the background behind big picture.

The Steam Overlay UI process appears to be failing to start at all. It still appears for other non-steam games.

I've tried:
-Full Steam reset (Deleting all files but Steam.Exe and SteamApps)
-Updating Dolphin from stable to the newest version
-Switching Video Backend
-Restarting, ofc
-Updating steam
-Starting Dolphin directly as a non-steam game (still didnt work)
-Removing and Adding all the games again to steam
-Crying myself to sleep
-Launching games through plain steam instead of Big Picture
-Adding and removing random launch flags from the exe
-Hitting my computer

Nothing works. I cant get the overlay to appear anymore for dolphin, at all.

What can I do now? Anything? Buy a entire new computer? It worked for months, I changed nothing, and it just randomly decided to stop working.

Thanks for any help, at all, you can give me!
You just need to open dolphin via steam and select the game fast, coz after 5 or 6 seconds without anything selected steam overlay will not work/open.

If it still doesn't work then try to change the backend of dolphin.

Arc

Thanks for the fast reply!

I figured it out! I found a 2 year old stack exchange post that mentioned that the steam overlay only funcitons with the OpenGL backend.

Sure enough, its right.

So future problem-havers:
SET THE VIDEO BACKEND TO OPENGL.

THE VIDEO BACKEND HAS TO BE OPENGL FOR STEAM OVERLAY TO APPEAR.

Issue is solved!