Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: best versopn and device for dolphin on surface 4 I5 or Razer edge pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I sold an ipad pro that I was given when I asked for a tablet and will be purchasing a surface pro 4 I5 4gb ram 128gb ssd or a razer edge pro both which I found online. I wanted to know the best version of dolphin to use and also which device will fair better. New to this and generations confuse me how old i7 compares to newer i5 etc. Please let me know what my best set up will be..
(03-19-2016, 03:06 AM)HollywoodCruz Wrote: [ -> ]So I sold an ipad pro that I was given when I asked for a tablet and will be purchasing a surface pro 4 I5 4gb ram 128gb ssd or a razer edge pro both which I found online.  I wanted to know the best version of dolphin to use and also which device will fair better.  New to this and generations confuse me how old i7 compares to newer i5 etc.  Please let me know what my best set up will be..

Also heard surfaces can have throttling issues any advice or tweaks that will help or get rid of these issues.
Use the latest development version of Dolphin.

The Surface pro 4 will run your games faster because it has a Skylake CPU, but the Razer edge pro has an nvidia GPU which will let you run your games at higher resolutions without lagging, but it's CPU is much older, which is important for Dolphin, so your games might lag more.

Skylake GPUs aren't actually all that bad though, I would opt for the Surface pro 4. Should be able to handle 3x internal resolution.
(03-19-2016, 03:13 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]Use the latest development version of Dolphin.

The Surface pro 4 will run your games faster because it has a Skylake CPU, but the Razer edge pro has an nvidia GPU which will let you run your games at higher resolutions without lagging, but it's CPU is much older, which is important for Dolphin, so your games might lag more.

Skylake GPUs aren't actually all that bad though, I would opt for the Surface pro 4. Should be able to handle 3x internal resolution.

Thanks for the good break down all these generations of i5 and i7 processors and intergraded vs dedicated graphics get me confused lol and unless you pay an arm and a leg it seems gaming laptops are huge or super expensive. So its been hard finding something portable with gaming power.
Quote: unless you pay an arm and a leg it seems gaming laptops are huge or super expensive
That's not true . Gaming laptops nowadays are much cheaper and thinner than before
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i755...B015PYZ0J6
Quote:
I seriously doubt that
Tablet is weak . Even the fastest i7 version is just an ultra low power dual core CPU which is slower than a normal Dual Core CPU .
The i7 version has Intel HD 540 which is barely ok for 3xIR . The iGPU of i5 version is Intel HD 520 which is much slower than Intel HD 530 , 3xIR would be too much for it . For demanding games like Mario Kart Wii , TLS ...You will have to use lowest resolution but it's still not fast enough...
I think they would rather their games not lag than run at a very high resolution if they insist on wanting a tablet.
I have a Razer Edge Pro and almost all the games in Dolphin run 100% with Dolphin Ishiiruka :

Dolphin Gamecube Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CY3SbNZ9cY