Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii Menu 4.2 (Don't update)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just thought I'd post a warning here, since many rely on their homebrew enabled wii for dumping games.

http://hackmii.com/2009/09/wii-menu-4-2-...agination/

The update brings nothing new to your wii, it's simply a homebrew killer. It will check for and delete you homebrew channel and DVDX at every bootup.

Note that there's still exploits left, (Smash Stack & Indiana Pwns) so once team twiizers release a new version of homebrew channel and DVDX, they can be reinstalled without getting deleted at bootup. (they just have to change their title ID, you can even hex the channels yourself)

BUT the update also updates boot2, meaning no more bootmii in boot2, unless they find another exploit of course.

The update is needed to use the shop channel, but you can use wiiSCU to update it without getting the Wii Menu 4.2 update.
Sticky this thread immediately
I was about to update. Angry
Yeah, thank you for information, I've already read that on WiiBrew, but thanks anyways Smile

Stickied on Diddy's request, must-see thread
* DacoTaco facepalms

and nowhere it says even none homebrew wii's can be fucked

they update the boot2 and apparently didn't check the boot2 content before finishing the update. which leaves a nice opening for wii's to brick since boot2 content are pooped

for those who can't follow:
something inside your wii is fucked. its like a faulty flashing a bios
The new hackmii installer is out, their homebrew killer didn't last long...

http://hackmii.com/2009/09/silly_games/

I'm not quite sure if bootmii boot2 will work still, but seems so from this statement:

HackMii installer (v0.5):

* New exploit to enable (un-)installation of all components on fully updated Wiis.

If not, you can still install it as ios, and rewrite your NAND with one from before the update, so you've just lost the security of having bootmii in boot2.

EDIT: Seems bootmii as boot2 uses an exploit in boot1 to install, so it can always be installed no matte what Nintendo doBig Grin
(Boot1 can't get updated)
OMG , Always that I see hackmii.com or wiibrew.org something happens

Few days ago I saw that a new exploit was released and now this ???

I will read Tongue
yeah the 4.2 is able to run homebrew and things now b/c i have 4.2u firmware on my wii w/ homebrew channel but i hate 4.2u now b/c you can't install wads just run apps and i want to install these to free up sd card space....

hopefully in the future wad installation on 4.2(u) will be possible
(02-16-2010, 06:03 AM)TheBboyKnowledge Wrote: [ -> ]yeah the 4.2 is able to run homebrew and things now b/c i have 4.2u firmware on my wii w/ homebrew channel but i hate 4.2u now b/c you can't install wads just run apps and i want to install these to free up sd card space....

hopefully in the future wad installation on 4.2(u) will be possible
Trucha Bug Restorer will do the job , anyway I can't find a lot of uses to the trucha bug Tongue
where the hell did this come from?

i dont remember sticking this, not even here

also, the 4.2 update is fine

even for your homebrew Tongue
Yeah homebrew was fixed shortly after so wii menu 4.2 is no big deal (except for the very low risk of the bootloader update killing your wii)
I was wondering too why this remained stickied...
Pages: 1 2