Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wonky graphics and lag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys!
I am eveelyn94. I recently got the stable version of Dolphin, 4.0, but it doesn't play my game too well.

My game is "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker". It plays weirdly. If text does not show up, boxes do. The two pictures below display this. I think this is the biggest contribution to my lagging problem. The shadow from Aryll's lookout is following me, which I think causes more lagging problems.

For hardware questions... I had to fill out upon registration my graphics, processor, etc. I am running OSX Mavericks. I think you all can see that information somewhere? These are my current settings... any direction would be fantastic.

(I do not know how to ungray any content).

These are my settings directly affiliated with the Z:WW ROM:
GameConfig
  • All of the boxes have a dash (not a check) in it, excluding DSP HLE, and Custom Projection Hack. Emulation state is "playable", and the text box to the right hand side is empty.

Dolphin Config:
  • General:
  • Everything is grayed out, but what's marked grayed out is Enable Dual Core, Enable Idle Skipping, and JIT Recompiler.
  • Frame Limit is auto. Limit by FPS is not checked.

Interface:
  • Confirm on Stop is checked.
  • Use panic handlers is checked.
  • Theme is clean.
  • Language is <System>.

Audio:
  • DS LLE Recompiler is checked.
  • Backend is core audio, volume is at 100%, and latency at 2.
  • All options except volume is grayed.

Gamecube: Grayed out is "skipped bios". I have a memory card configured.

Paths: lead to my folder with my games stored.

Dolphin Graphics:
General: Backend is a grayed out GL. Aspect ratio is auto. Nothing is checked.

Enhancements:
  • Scaled EFB copy is checked
  • Internal Resolution (640x528, Native) and Ani-Filtering is 1x.
  • Anti-Aliasing is none.

Advanced Has nothing checked.

Hacks has the following checked:
  • Ignore Format changes
  • EFB copies texture
  • External Buffer Disable
  • Fast Depth Calculation
[Image: zyRRMI8.png]
[Image: 9AOPVFt.png]

Thanks everyone! I'm sure this was painful to read. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Smile
Try updating to the latest development version of Dolphin. 4.0 is fairly old by now and has many unfixed bugs.
(03-14-2016, 02:15 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Try updating to the latest development version of Dolphin. 4.0 is fairly old by now and has many unfixed bugs.

I'll go ahead and try that again. I ended up downgrading because I had so much trouble with it. I couldn't get my frames to go greater than 8FPS.

Thanks for that suggestion! Big Grin
(03-14-2016, 02:23 AM)eveelyn94 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll go ahead and try that again. I ended up downgrading because I had so much trouble with it. I couldn't get my frames to go greater than 8FPS.

Thanks for that suggestion! Big Grin

I just launched the newer version of Dolphin. The frames improved by 4 or 5 frames, but during the game it's terrible. I hit about 60 frames launching, the menu drops it to 20. And the game averages 12.

Any more ideas?
Your GPU is slow and you're using OS X which has bad graphics drivers. Dual boot Windows and set the Internal Resolution to 1x
(03-14-2016, 02:53 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]Your GPU is slow and you're using OS X which has bad graphics drivers. Dual boot Windows and set the Internal Resolution to 1x

Will do! Thank you. Smile I'll let you know if I continue to have problems with this version.
Quote:My game is "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker". It plays weirdly. If text does not show up, boxes do. The two pictures below display this. I think this is the biggest contribution to my lagging problem. The shadow from Aryll's lookout is following me, which I think causes more lagging problems.
It's normal for Intel integrated GPU . On OSX , it's even worse
Quote:I just launched the newer version of Dolphin. The frames improved by 4 or 5 frames, but during the game it's terrible. I hit about 60 frames launching, the menu drops it to 20. And the game averages 12.
Any more ideas?
Don't try to play game on a Macbook , especially MacBook Air . It's known for overheating when you try to run such a demanding program like Dolphin (more demanding than any PC game). I have seen so many issues like this and in most case the CPU hits 90-100C and CPU clock speed is dropped down
Repaste the thermal compound will help if your laptop overheats and you will need to install Windows . Intel driver on OSX is very very bad
Anyway , you should get a better PC , a gaming one . Your laptop is weak for Dolphin , it does not meet the requirement
Latest Dolphin build should fix most of the graphical bugs on Mac OS X...
Odd, my response didn't reply. None the matter.

Thanks for replying guys! I appreciate it. Big Grin Hopefully this won't go on for too long, but I put Dolphin (the latest version 4.0-9NNN?) on my x64 bit Windows 7 AMD-Dual core laptop. It has 4GB of ram, which is embarrassing.

During the game the FPS is at 17, which is spectacular compared to my original problems. That and the graphic issues went away. Any other advice for settings to speed it up? I don't expect it to be perfect as an industrial laptop, not a gaming laptop.

Thank you!

Edit: It is nearly double of what I originally had on the Mac. The Internal setting is on 1x Native.