Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i3 530 good enough for most dolphin games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
it's a dual core with 4 threads, clocked at 2.93 GHZ. My current desktop has an A6-3620(quad core, 2.2 GHZ) that I can overclock upto 2.8 GHZ, although it seems that there isnt really a performance boost once i overclock past 2.5 Ghz in any of the games I play. If a game runs well on the AMD then im certain they can well on the i3.

Although I don't really have the time atm to download a dozen games and test them, so I'm asking here.

The most demanding game I have atm is Xenoblade Chronicles, it runs fine on my PC for the most part, but alot of times whenever I enter a battle, the game stutters alot, the more enemies the worse it is. I assume that the i3 will run it flawlessly.

Also, does The Last Story run okay now on dolphin? I remembered that a couple years ago you needed a really powerful CPU to run it at full speed. Also is Pandora's Tower easy to run on dolphin?
That i3 is first gen which is really old (6 years old). Current i3 is 6th gen (i3 6100)
Quote:does The Last Story run okay now on dolphin? I remembered that a couple years ago you needed a really powerful CPU to run it at full speed.
You will need 4th gen Haswell @ 3.4GHz to run it full speed . Direct3d12 is a must otherwise you will have to overclock the CPU to 4.4GHz to run it full speed with Direct3d11
It would be wise if you buy i3 6100 3.7GHz because it's as fast as AMD FX-6300 6 cores in PC gaming and it's even faster than the fastest AMD FX 8350 @ 5.0GHz in Dolphin Benchmark
i3 530 is faster than that APU and it's as fast as i5 480M @ 2.9GHz (Same generation , same architecture ) . If you look at the chart , you will see 4th gen Haswell i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz is twice as fast as i5 480M...
If you choose i3 6100 , you will need DDR4 memory (refer Crucial DDR4 2133MHz since it's the cheapest DDR4 outthere) and H110M mobo
Other option is 4th gen Pentium G3258 which is cheap .Because Dolphin is a dual core application like PCSX2 , G3258 will be as fast as i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz if you overclock it to 4.7GHz . You won't need anything more than stock cooler if you don't overclock it higher than 4.2GHz
(03-09-2016, 01:02 PM)parmpreet001 Wrote: [ -> ]Although I don't really have the time atm to download a dozen games and test them, so I'm asking here.

Downloading games is against the rules.