Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: DX12 Randomly Crashing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Zombirate

Hi all. Been using the DX12 backend a bit lately, worked fine for me for about a week. No issues on Mario Kart Wii, Windwaker, Pokemon Rumble. Suddenly, starting today, the DX12 backend is crashing out of nowhere for no reason whatsoever completely randomly. Sometimes it'll work, sometime's it'll crash before the game loads, sometimes it'll crash if I try to open the graphics menu.

Anyone got any ideas what in the hell could be causing such a random series of crashes?
For an experimental feature like D3D12, make sure you use the absolute latest development builds! D3D12 recently got some updates that improved crashing issues.

Zombirate

(03-04-2016, 11:09 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]For an experimental feature like D3D12, make sure you use the absolute latest development builds! D3D12 recently got some updates that improved crashing issues.

I'm on the latest build as stated on my profile.
I'm having the same problem. I recently updated to Dolphin 4.0-9135, and the problem went away at first, but it came back.

I'm only able to play GC games once, using D3D12. If I quit playing a certain game, and try to play that same game again using D3D12, Dolphin (and my graphics driver) will crash either when I get to the Menu Screen (Metroid Prime 2) or when I try to load my save file (Super Mario Sunshine). Sometimes I even get a BSOD with a "Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver" error message. So basically, I have to re-download Dolphin every time I want to play a GC game in D3D12.

I haven't tried this with Wii games yet. But I'll post again later if I have the same problem with Wii Games.

I have an AMD R9 280 with the latest Crimson driver installed. I know it's not a D3D12 driver problem, because I have no problems running Gears of War Ultimate Edition, which is a DX12 only game.
I can confirm that I only experience this problem when I attempt to run GC games in D3D12.
I do not experience this problem when running GC games in D3D11 or OpenGL, or when I run Wii games in D3D12.
I don't doubt it's an issue, but, just because one game that uses the API works, doesn't mean you can rule out buggy drivers.

That said, there's probably still bugs in our D3D12 backend.

Zombirate

(03-17-2016, 10:08 AM)retroboy87 Wrote: [ -> ]I do not experience this problem when running GC games in D3D11 or OpenGL, or when I run Wii games in D3D12.

Same. Only GC games crash. Everything else is fine.
I found out a temporary solution to this problem. I have to delete the DX12 shader cache files in Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Cache\Shaders after every DX12 session.

Zombirate

Update, I also fixed it. Turns out Shadowplay is interfering somehow, turning it off completely fixes this for me.