Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Netplay: SSBM struggles, assistance needed!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

philbernstien

Hello,

So I'm a dolphin/netplay noob. I've read the FAQ , Netplay, and other required thread reads and I'm somewhat certain I can post and hopefully have my prayers answered. Then again, if there is an identical thread out there, my b.

I am currently living in Southwest China in the spring city of Kunming. In China foreigners are  unable to use any of the internet cafes that locals utilize for gaming, so I recently went to a chinese electronic outlet mall and purchased what i believed at the time were the required specs for running dolphin and specifically playing Super Smash Bros. Melee on netplay. After a lot of haggling and really bad chinese, I was able to buy the hardware as listed below. I was also able to get all the other pieces of equipment via TaoBao (chinese ebay) and used electronics stores (mayflash adapter, a new gc controller, a mouse, keyboard, 5m cat6 ethernet cable, and monitor.) I downloaded dolphin 4.0-7840-64x as that is the required version for SSBM netplay.  I tested out the emulator and wow it ran perfectly at 60fps. No issues whatsoever. All was right.

However, after finding someone to play with online (he was located in Hong Kong) the next day, i quickly realized the difficult part was just beginning. I was given the 8digit code using the traversal server ( this is the guide i followed https://www.smashladder.com/guides/view/...play-guide ). ANYWAYS I couldn't connect. So then I tried to host, and after many tries, we finally connected. Only problem was the ping was at 17572189560073324..... Does that mean I set the buffer to 1965? jk. The guy thought my internet was bad or something so I said thanks and went to researching what was wrong via google.

My settings were legit. My hardware seemed on point. However when I tried for fun to connect with my friend back in WI, USA, on another occasion, although i still could not connect to him, when I hosted he was able to connect with a ping which would range from 260-320 and randomly spike as high as 1000. Still have no idea why there are spikes. We were able to play some games but obvi the fps was a roller coaster. I tried again with some more local players in china/hong kong area and even south korea and was only able to connect one time after spamming the connect button repeatedly. I have yet to get a solid connection better than a greatly unstable 200-200 ping when I am able to connect.

I have made sure my windows firewall/defender is disabled, upgraded from i3 initially to i5, upgraded ethernet cable from cat5e to cat6, tried troubleshooting any issues with my router/modem (reset the the thing, troubleshot on pc), and removed all files on my computer that are not dolphin necessary. I have my computer at it's "high performance setting" in the windows control panel and my gpu control panel. Some of the error messages i have been getting are as such: "lost connection to server" (in chat dolphin netplay) , "cannot connect to traversal server" and things like that. I can send screen shots if needed. Trouble is it's difficult to get someone to troubleshoot problems with me bc of timezone difference. And I don't know if being in china with the "great firewall" is affecting things.

So.... where to go from here? I'm having different internet brought to my new apartment, (ive had to share internet with 4 other people on multiple devices, altho im the only one using a LAN connection), but in the meantime are there other solutions people know of? I've read about port forwarding (but thought that was just for direct connect), overclocking, changing netplay settings, and other ways but I am just looking for anyone who might have a remedy before I invest more time and money than I already have.

Any help I can get will be very greatly appreciated! I'm desperate for some smash and I'm willing to do about anything to get it going.
(Sorry for the very long message, I'm bad at simplifying.)

-Phil

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
Processor/CPU:        Intel Core i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Video Card/GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Memory/RAM:        8.00 GB RAM (7.94 GB usable)
Dolphin Revision: 4.0-7840-x64
If you have followed all of the settings on Anther's Ladder completely (double check ALL of your settings), then your internet is the problem. I'm couldn't say whether it's YOUR internet specifically or being in China that's the problem, but sharing with four people will definitely make your pings unstable.

philbernstien

(03-03-2016, 02:10 AM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]If you have followed all of the settings on Anther's Ladder completely (double check ALL of your settings), then your internet is the problem. I'm couldn't say whether it's YOUR internet specifically or being in China that's the problem, but sharing with four people will definitely make your pings unstable.

Okay I'll give my settings another look and try it out again. Yeah I'm hoping having my own router and Internet will be a big help. Do you know if unlocking/port forwarding the router has any effect on traversal server setting for netplay? I read it helps for direct connect but just wanna check.