Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help starting out debugging.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks to some help from mimimi,

I can build and run Dolphin from visual studio.

However, I've spent my past two years working almost solely in Java for my job, and C++ is making me feel like a complete novice again.

To the issue:

I debug Dolphin, and it opens. All good.

I go to the graphics settings. I change it from Direct3D 12, to 11. Then I change it back to 12, and I get this (or some variation):

Code:
Exception thrown at 0x00007FFF8584E79A (nvwgf2umx.dll) in DolphinD.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000004400330044.

Seems to usually occur at line 269 of D3DBase.cpp if I'm not mistaken, though sometimes it's in some diassembled assembly code.

It does not happen this way every time. Sometimes I have to try to open a game (Super Mario Sunshine) or sometimes it's the moment I open the graphics settings.

The thing is, despite my googling, I honestly don't know how to solve a problem like this.

Is there a book or a resource that anyone would recommend for me to build up the basic skillset required to help work on Dolphin? I'm very familiar with JDK 6-8, but little of that seems to apply to the problem I'm having.
Try making a Release build instead of a Debug build, maybe? You can change it using a dropdown at the top of Visual Studio. I don't know if there's something with Debug builds that would cause this, but they're less tested than Release builds (and are also much slower).
(03-02-2016, 05:54 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Try making a Release build instead of a Debug build, maybe? You can change it using a dropdown at the top of Visual Studio. I don't know if there's something with Debug builds that would cause this, but they're less tested than Release builds (and are also much slower).

Amusingly, this seems to just change the problem line to 270 in D3DBase.cpp.