Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Suggestion...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With Dolphin changing frequently with new Beta Builds coming along just about every week or so, why not add an automatic update utility directly to the app itself?
This helps users that may not have the bandwidth to surf the web to find the latest update and instead download it in the background followed by notifying the user when the build is ready for install.
In this proposed feature, the user can also decide to turn off Automatic updates too (as it should be).
This has already been discussed somewhere on this forum, and IIRC this is not such a good idea because development builds can invalidate the shader cache, which causes stuttering after some updates; this would lead to bad user experiences. When 5.0 comes out, regularly updating won't be needed anyway.

Also, the bandwidth needed to download the latest build on Dolphin's website is negligible. And if this really were an issue for someone, automatically downloading the build in the background for them is going to be worse, since the builds are much larger than the web page itself.
(03-01-2016, 10:37 PM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]When 5.0 comes out, regularly updating won't be needed anyway.

Aren't we going to have the same problem as we have now after 5.0 has been out for a while? Tongue
Hmm, I don't know, depends on when you developers decide to release the next version :p

…though, if the release cycle doesn't change, 5.0 might indeed end up in a situation like 4.0.2. But it's already much better than 4.0.2! (And I don't think big performance improvements are possible in the future, since most issues have been fixed -- or am I just being pessimistic?)
I just checked it, from 1st march 2015 to 1st march 2016, there were 1281 new master builds. So about 3.5 per day. Do you really want to have an automatically updater for this kind of period?

At least if so, don't tell me it's because of internet bandwidth Wink