Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Newer dolphin development version cause games to run slower on my pc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everybody, I am just posting to ask if anybody else is having some of the same issues. By no means do I have an outstanding emulating pc at all, I am running a FX 6300 with a GTX 960, and I know that AMD CPU's aren't the greatest with emulating Dolphin, however whenever I run a game, any game in 4.0.2 it is pretty great, and I can get almost perfect if not perfect frames on it, depending on the game of course. Now I just bought a Mayflash Dolphinbar to hook up my wii mote to my pc, as I wanted to be able to play games with ease such as Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Paper Mario. For whatever reason Wiimote connection with the Dolphin bar isn't supported in 4.0.2, and in the newer development releases it is. So I download the development release and everything is great, other than the fact that the games run so much slower on them. I only go on to the dev version to play my Wii games with my Wiimote, other than that I run my Gamecube games on 4.0.2 with my Xbox 360 controller for better frames.

Is this going to be just something I have to live with? I really hope not as I just built this pc, as it is my first pc, and really it was so perfect when I ran everything. Is dolphin 5.0 going to be a little faster, as we will have to install it instead of downloading it from a folder like the other stable versions? I would really like to know. Also as this is my first post hello to everyone, and if I posted this in a wrong section I am sorry :$.

G'day Smile
That doesn't sound right. In fact, the latest builds should have fewer bugs and better performance than 4.0.2 (which is over 2 years old). What speed are you getting with the latest development builds? Could you post a screenshot of your settings?

FYI, Dolphin 5.0 will be based on the development builds, so it won't magically be faster than them. And the install method does not affect performance.
(03-01-2016, 07:28 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]That doesn't sound right. In fact, the latest builds should have fewer bugs and better performance than 4.0.2 (which is over 2 years old). What speed are you getting with the latest development builds? Could you post a screenshot of your settings?

FYI, Dolphin 5.0 will be based on the development builds, so it won't magically be faster than them. And the install method does not affect performance.

Sure of course, and I know it sounds quite strange to me too, tbh I am a little disappointed at this happening since I like to play with the wiimote especially. :/

4.0.2 (The faster Dolphin version)
http://postimg.org/image/pcvd3xxfb/full/

4.0-9021 (Development build)
http://postimg.org/image/l7ismw44f/full
Try enabling Store EFB Copies to Texture Only in Graphics > Hacks. It's the same as setting EFB Copies to Texture in 4.0.2. This will probably not help enough, though.
I'm experiencing a similar problem, but there's at least a fix for my problem in the works. To see if your problem is the same as mine, try this build: https://dl.dolphin-emu.org/prs/pr-3686-d...est-x64.7z to see if Dolphin runs faster than on 9021. Make sure Fast Depth is enabled in the GPU options...
(03-01-2016, 09:05 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Try enabling Store EFB Copies to Texture Only in Graphics > Hacks. It's the same as setting EFB Copies to Texture in 4.0.2. This will probably not help enough, though.
I tried it, I didn't see too much of a difference in Mario Kart Wii, however it was still a good thing to point out.

(03-01-2016, 09:06 AM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]I'm experiencing a similar problem, but there's at least a fix for my problem in the works. To see if your problem is the same as mine, try this build: https://dl.dolphin-emu.org/prs/pr-3686-d...est-x64.7z to see if Dolphin runs faster than on 9021. Make sure Fast Depth is enabled in the GPU options...
I tried out your version of Dolphin and it actually made things a bit faster, still not as quite as smooth as 4.0.2, however it was still somewhat smooth, and I could play it with the wiimote! How did you get this version, did the developers make this specifically for you?
Dolphin 4.0-8983 merged PR 3578, which removed the Fast Depth option in a way that, at least for me, seems to force Dolphin to use "Slow Depth" on my GPU, which reduces my FPS by about 15. PR 3686 reverts this change and restores the Fast Depth option to the GPU menu and the GameINIs, but it isn't part of master yet, which is why (at least partly) you're still getting bad performance in 4.0-9021.

You can find precompiled binaries for all of the PRs in this folder on the site: https://dl.dolphin-emu.org/prs/

All I did was direct you to the PR that I thought might fix your problem, because the same thing is happening to me. Hopefully it will be merged to master soon, and then the official builds will regain their performance, too.
You can also try running the games using OpenGL, as OpenGL on Nvidia cards is usually faster than D3D
Is that why that PR is being reverted? Still weird since it does not remove fast depth; it actually makes fast depth the default. Basically instead of having to use an option for Fast Depth, Fast Depth is enabled by default. You still had the option to force slow depth (ForcedSlowDepth iirc). Personally I didn't get any regression from the PR, but it looks like it is not completely ready...
(03-01-2016, 09:30 AM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin 4.0-8983 merged PR 3578, which removed the Fast Depth option in a way that, at least for me, seems to force Dolphin to use "Slow Depth" on my GPU, which reduces my FPS by about 15. PR 3686 reverts this change and restores the Fast Depth option to the GPU menu and the GameINIs, but it isn't part of master yet, which is why (at least partly) you're still getting bad performance in 4.0-9021.

You can find precompiled binaries for all of the PRs in this folder on the site: https://dl.dolphin-emu.org/prs/

All I did was direct you to the PR that I thought might fix your problem, because the same thing is happening to me. Hopefully it will be merged to master soon, and then the official builds will regain their performance, too.

Hopefully it does, if it gets released into Dolphin 5.0 that would also be amazing. I wish that in the future Dolphin would have better support with AMD chipsets, and maybe even use more than two cores, of course when they get up to that point anyway haha, all in due time I suppose, and thanks again! Smile
Pages: 1 2