Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my hardware good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Toshiba Satellite Radius model P55W-B5112 and would like to know if this is adequate to run Dolphin. Here are all of my specs:
CPU: Intel i7-5500u 2.4GHz
Version: 1511
OS Build: 14257.1000
RAM: Toshiba Installed 8GB
Video: Intel HD Graphics 5500
Shader 5.0
OpenGL: 4.4
OpenCL: 2.0
DirectX: Runtime 12.0, Hardware supported 11.1
Video Resolution: 1,920 x 1,080

The About box in Dolphin reports version 4.0.

I am trying to run Mario Kart Wii, and the sound is a little garbled, and seems fast. At the beginning of the game, fps is about 190, and vps about the same, sometimes reaching over 300%. The game seems to run fine (fps and vps above 60), usually running around 110%, but sometimes the game dips below 50%, with the average around 70 to 90%.

Is there a way to even out the speed at which the game plays?

I hope I posted all of the required information. If this can be fixed, I would really enjoy this product.

Thank you.
Update to the latest version of dolphin and set the speed limit to 100% in config.
Make sure your CPU run at 2.9GHz . 2.4GHz is default speed (no turbo). See performance guide for laptop here (the CPU section only since you don't have a discrete GPU)
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#my-lap...-it-should
Are you using Direct3d12 backend ? You should use it cuz it's way faster than OpenGL and Direct3d11
Integrated Intel HD 5500 is not fast as fast as HD 4600 (Blame Intel for confusing the model). Keep your settings down , Try to limit Internal Resolution to 2.5xIR or lower value like 2x . Your 1080p native res is too much for it to handle
(02-27-2016, 09:41 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure your CPU run at 2.9GHz . 2.4GHz is default speed (no turbo). See performance guide for laptop here (the CPU section only since you don't have a discrete GPU)
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#my-lap...-it-should
Are you using Direct3d12 backend ? You should use it cuz it's way faster than OpenGL and Direct3d11
Integrated Intel HD 5500 is not fast as fast as HD 4600 (Blame Intel for confusing the model). Keep your settings down , Try to limit Internal Resolution to 2.5xIR or lower value like 2x . Your 1080p native res is too much for it to handle

I don't know if I'm using the Direct3d12 backend. How do I check?
(02-27-2016, 09:31 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Update to the latest version of dolphin and set the speed limit to 100% in config.
Thank you. I have the latest version, but in config I limited the FPS to 60 and the sound seems to be normal. Now if I can just fix that slowdown during the game. Thanks for solving one problem.
(02-27-2016, 09:57 AM)mdasky1 Wrote: [ -> ]I have the latest version, but in config I limited the FPS to 60 and the sound seems to be normal.

No, you're supposed to use the latest development version. If you have an option to set the speed to 60 FPS instead of 100%, it's not a recent development version.
(02-27-2016, 09:59 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]No, you're supposed to use the latest development version. If you have an option to set the speed to 60 FPS instead of 100%, it's not a recent development version.

Ok, you succedded in making me feel real stupid. I downloaded the one off of the developer page and it works almost flawlessly. I'll probably need to tweak a setting or two, but this is a MAJOR improvement. Thanks everyone for your help, thread closed.
The latest version is 4.0 9021 atm
If you have that version , you should be able to use Direct3D12 since your GPU is supported
[Image: tkds85q8c1n3qzz6g.jpg]
Also , make sure you have a proper version of Windows 10 64bit if you want to run Direct3d12 . I'm not sure about 'Windows Home Insider Preview'
I think the free upgrade to 10 is still valid for 7 and 8.1 users, but it's probably coming close to ending that deal.
(02-27-2016, 11:09 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]I think the free upgrade to 10 is still valid for 7 and 8.1 users, but it's probably coming close to ending that deal.

It's valid for another 4 months.