Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Future Cycle-Accuracy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As CPU speed continues to advance down the line, will there be any plans to make Dolphin more cycle-accurate? Tongue
There are plans to make Dolphin more accurate, but cycle accuracy is either not going to happen or only going to happen very far into the future.
We intend to simulate cycle timings, but, it won't actually be cycle accurate even with the simulated timings in the JIT. Interpreter could possibly be cycle accurate someday.
I'm going a little off-topic but that made me think of N64 cycle acccuracy. Does MAME is trying to do it?
Thanks for the responses and information, appreciate it.

(02-23-2016, 11:45 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going a little off-topic but that made me think of N64 cycle acccuracy. Does MAME is trying to do it?

I'm not sure about MAME, but I've heard of an emulator in development called CEN64 which aims to be very cycle-accurate. Though it requires a powerhouse of a rig until further optimizations can be implemented. And it is a new emulator so it'll take time.

I'm also looking forward to seeing a WiiU emulator like Cemu working accurately, and with good performance.
I'd pay more attention to decaf if I were you.
(02-24-2016, 12:53 AM)My Life Is Tech Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure about MAME, but I've heard of an emulator in development called CEN64 which aims to be very cycle-accurate. Though it requires a powerhouse of a rig until further optimizations can be implemented. And it is a new emulator so it'll take time.
Thanks, I didn't know about CEN64, it's pretty impressive. I'll just wait when it'll be more user-friendly.

(02-24-2016, 12:53 AM)My Life Is Tech Wrote: [ -> ]I'm also looking forward to seeing a WiiU emulator like Cemu working accurately, and with good performance.
Well, see you in 2030. :p
Kurausukun does have a point, Cemu is probably full of hacks.
We'd make the emulator more accurate if it makes a game play better. We won't make the emulator more accurate if all it's going to do is slow things down.
Right now, there are two hard features missing for cycles accurate PPC emulation:
- caches. Especially the data cache. This would slow down very much, but JMC47 did already request it Big Grin This will be interpreter only.
- out of order. The PPC timing would require us to emulate the pipeline state, with all kind of stalls, parallel execution, and out-of-order behavior. This would be a new level of LLE for the CPU.

I don't want to say never, but the performance hit will make it unuseable for playing games.
datacache emulation when?
Pages: 1 2