Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Windows Explorer Extremely Slow!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TripleH31

Hi guys and gals,

I need some help. Dolphin is working great for me: Isos, system menu/wads, etc are all kosher. However, once I either stop or pause my emulation or even exit dolphin, I notice that my ability to navigate in windows explorer is dreadfully slow. This means that it now takes like 30 seconds just to right click on a file, see info on an icon when mouse pointer is hovered over it, clicking on the start menu, etc.

Firefox runs fine, along with most other programs, but it seems windows explorer is affected.  A simple reboot fixes all this, but now I don't want to run dolphin if I have to keep rebooting.

Things to point out:

I have the latest Nvidia drivers
I am running on default video setting in dolphin
My refresh rate on display settings at max (60hz) and stays at 60hz when the lag in explorer ocurrs.
I checked my cpu and memory usage in task manager after exiting dolphin and cant find anyting that is gobbling up those resources; also there is no process from dolphin that is still running after exiting it.

Thanks!
Do you use custom textures?

TripleH31

(02-21-2016, 07:07 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]Do you use custom textures?

Nope.

Edit:

Well I made a little progress. I overlooked a critical adjustment that I made on my computer. You see, I use AVG PC Tuneup (its an awesome program btw) and I changed my computer profile to "turbo mode" which (based on the options I choose) puts less strain on your GPU and CPU for normal everday operations. Now, I know what you're thinking: "why the heck would you want to game while at the same time reduce your OS settings for more performance?" I guess you could say that I'm just trying to find that "sweet spot" between performance and quality. I guess I'm not a that much a hardcore gamer since I don't feel the need to overclock and all that. For me, as long as my fps is decent, the visual quality doesn't have to be that uber spectacular.

So, With that being said, I switched my profile back to "standard mode" and now explorer is not that slow...but just a little bit laggy. Good news is that it's tolerable to where I don't have to reboot. Any advice on identifying possible gpu and OS settings that may contribute to my slight lagging problem in windows explorer?

Thanks!

TripleH31

(02-22-2016, 02:01 AM)TripleH31 Wrote: [ -> ]Nope.

Edit:

Well I made a little progress. I overlooked a critical adjustment that I made on my computer.  You see, I use AVG PC Tuneup (its an awesome program btw) and I changed my computer profile to "turbo mode" which (based on the options I choose) puts less strain on your GPU and CPU for normal everday operations.  Now, I know what you're thinking: "why the heck would you want to game while at the same time reduce your OS settings for more performance?"  I guess you could say that I'm just trying to find that "sweet spot" between performance and quality. I guess I'm not a that much a hardcore gamer since I don't feel the need to overclock and all that. For me, as long as my fps is decent, the visual quality doesn't have to be that uber spectacular.

So, With that being said, I switched my profile back to "standard mode" and now explorer is not that slow...but just a little bit laggy.  Good news is that it's tolerable to where I don't have to reboot.  Any advice on identifying possible gpu and OS settings that may contribute to my slight lagging problem in windows explorer?

Thanks!

Well MaJoR, you were right. There was a setting that I overlooked about caching textures. In the hacks section of the Graphics option I had "Store EFB copies to Texture only", so I unchecked that. I alos changed the slider texture cache to "Safe".

In the Configuration section, I enabled the "cpu clock override" (but did not go over 100%).

All is good! I hope no one else had to go through what I went through. I guess texture caching to GPU is a big no no for my rig.