Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will HLE Audio ever fully support the IPL (GameCube BIOS)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I've been using LLE Audio for awhile now, and have been getting very high CPU usage/lag in my games. The only reason I use LLE audio is because of the IPL (BIOS) of the Gamecube. While it may not mean a lot to some people, I think it's one of the coolest features of Dolphin. Being able to actually have to boot-up sequence and the system settings fully functional really makes the emulator feel genuine. However, I decided to give HLE Audio a go recently just for the heck of it. CPU usage has gone down dramatically and performance has increased a good bit. While I'm going to continue using HLE audio for the time being (at least until I get a better PC), I'll kinda miss not seeing the startup screen. It isn't a big deal at all, but it does bring back that slight nostalgia factor. According to the blog post about the 'New Era of HLE Audio' it states the the IPL uses the earliest version of the Zelda µcode, and that full support hasn't been added. With that said, I was just curious if full support for the IPL will ever be integrated at a later date. Sadly, it does seem like mostly everyone has forgotten about this little known feature.

~Mario119~
It's probably not even that hard to finish; it's just finding someone with the proper knowledge and motivation to do it.
(02-21-2016, 08:41 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It's probably not even that hard to finish; it's just finding someone with the proper knowledge and motivation to do it.

Wish I had the knowledge to do it myself, however I sadly do not. I don't know how difficult it'd be to fix the IPL's sound, but in it's current state it seems fairly close to working. The audio seems to be just looping wrong, it's making the correct sounds. Who knows, I could be wrong and it might be way more complex than I imagine.
As far as I tested HLE is working fine with PAL IPL. With USA/JAP it's missing some effects but probably not noticeable unless you actually enter the menu...
(02-21-2016, 03:14 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I tested HLE is working fine with PAL IPL. With USA/JAP it's missing some effects but probably not noticeable unless you actually enter the menu...

Oddly enough the PAL IPL does indeed seem to be working flawlessly. The USA/JAP IPL has most of the sound effects, however they are playing out of order. I wonder what the difference between the IPLs are, perhaps the framerate has something to do with it. While I don't go into the menu often, it's still nice to have that authenticity. What I'm trying to say is that it is a very minor problem, but I was just curious as to if anyone would ever want to fix it.
I feel confident it'll happen at some point. I'm sure it's the dream of many to have HLE function exactly the same as LLE, rendering LLE unnecessary, but I think it'll be a while, especially since we're in the Dolphin 5.0 feature freeze. Something as specific and small in scope as this is not likely to get attention as the larger bugs are stamped out for release, but I'm sure it'll happen.