Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can't get 60 FPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

jasonhr13

I've run Dolphin on my i7 Macbook Pro and I can play Mario Kart DD consistently at 60fps, I recently got a new Windows Laptop, Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3Ghz (turbo to 3.2Ghz), 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5, and when I try to play Mario Kart DD I can barely get 30 fps. Are there some settings I may be able to change to fix this, maybe background processes are slowing it down? Maybe a different build of Dolphin? Or is my quad core i5 just not good enough?

Looking forward to answers and advice.
That i5 isn't a quad core but dual core with Hyperthreading
Use the laptop performance guide here
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#my-lap...-it-should
Power Consumption of GTX 960M is quite high (almost twice as much as your i5). If your laptop doesn't have good cooling units , it will overheat and throttledown

jasonhr13

(02-17-2016, 11:49 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]That i5 isn't a quad core but dual core with Hyperthreading
Use the laptop performance guide here
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#my-lap...-it-should
Power Consumption of GTX 960M is quite high (almost twice as much as your i5). If your laptop doesn't have good cooling units , it will overheat and throttledown

The i5 in my laptop is Quad-Core, it has 4 cores, and 4 threads. I ended up getting it working on 60+ fps. Not sure what the issue was, my i5 has 4 cores though it does not have hyper-threading, like my Macbook which has 4 cores but 8 threads.
So intel has started making some mobile quad core i5 recently , I see . Up till 2015 , all mobile i5 were dual core with HT ...

Parklife_02

(02-17-2016, 02:18 PM)jasonhr13 Wrote: [ -> ]The i5 in my laptop is Quad-Core, it has 4 cores, and 4 threads. I ended up getting it working on 60+ fps. Not sure what the issue was, my i5 has 4 cores though it does not have hyper-threading, like my Macbook which has 4 cores but 8 threads.

Hey Jason - what sort of performance are you getting generally on games with the new setup? Have you tried any outside of Mario Kart? Did you make any major tweaks to configuration settings to get it to play at 60+ FPS?

jasonhr13

(02-17-2016, 02:51 PM)Parklife_02 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Jason - what sort of performance are you getting generally on games with the new setup? Have you tried any outside of Mario Kart? Did you make any major tweaks to configuration settings to get it to play at 60+ FPS?

Honestly, I restarted it, and then plugged it in, and then switched from Direct3D to OpenGL, now its running at 60-65 with no overclocking

I havent tried any other games though.

Parklife_02

(02-17-2016, 02:59 PM)jasonhr13 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I restarted it, and then plugged it in, and then switched from Direct3D to OpenGL, now its running at 60-65 with no overclocking

I havent tried any other games though.

Ok thanks. Let me know your results if you run through Wind Waker or any others, would be helpful to get a benchmark on the processor and so far I haven't found any available online.