Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: WW - Gamecard corrupted. Should I format it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know there has been several threads about this, but I need to ask.. Say that I have come a long way with Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, then, when I am playing WW the gamecard gets corrupted (like it does often).. If I format that memorycard, will it wipe the saves of the other games aswell?

I am asking this before I'm starting to play.. It would be a real shame to loose all of my progress, so I need to know.. Also, how do I avoid the memory card being corrupted? It happens after I'm using quick states etc...
Is it the first time you use a GameCube game? If yes it's normal.
(02-16-2016, 11:46 PM)keem85 Wrote: [ -> ]Say that I have come a long way with Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, then, when I am playing WW the gamecard gets corrupted (like it does often).. If I format that memorycard, will it wipe the saves of the other games aswell?

Formatting a memory card will erase all data on that card, which in practice usually means all of your saves for GameCube games. Wii games don't store saves on memory cards.

(02-16-2016, 11:46 PM)keem85 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, how do I avoid the memory card being corrupted? It happens after I'm using quick states etc...

The best way I know of is to not use savestates.
(02-16-2016, 11:53 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Formatting a memory card will erase all data on that card, which in practice usually means all of your saves for GameCube games. Wii games don't store saves on memory cards.

The best way I know of is to not use savestates.

Thanks! What file is the memory card, so that I can take backup? And where does the Wii save it's savegames?
In the Dolphin Emulator folder in Documents, the GC folder contains memory cards and the Wii folder contains Wii saves. It's possible to use locations other than these, but these are the ones that will be used if you haven't changed the paths manually.
Delete the wind Waker save on the memory card and then start the game and reload your save state. Then you should be able to save. Your saves get corrupted if you save on the memory card and n use a save state to go back in time before you saved on the card and then try to save again. Save states are fine as long as you don't compromise the data on the memory card. Meaning, once you save the game via memory, don't use a save state to go before that time again. If you do just don't save to the card.
(02-19-2016, 01:48 PM)raiderstudent Wrote: [ -> ]Delete the wind Waker save on the memory card and then start the game and reload your save state. Then you should be able to save. Your saves get corrupted if you save on the memory card and n use a save state to go back in time before you saved on the card and then try to save again. Save states are fine as long as you don't compromise the data on the memory card. Meaning, once you save the game via memory, don't use a save state to go before that time again.  If you do just don't save to the card.

Ahh that's good information to remember. Thanks!