Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: MacBook Pro Throttling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

xb2003c1

I have a late 2015 rMBP 15" with an i7 and the Iris Pro graphics. When playing a game in Dolphin (4.0) such as Super Smash Bros, it will be running fine, holding 60fps. Suddenly there will be a drop to 30 for a matter of 10-15 seconds, and then it will jump back up to 60 and be fine. It does this no matter what resolution I have the emulator set at, be it 1x to 2.5x. Any idea on what might be causing this? The computer isn't even getting warm.

Thanks!
micro-stuttering is usually a symptom of Dolphin generating its shader cache . You will have less micro-stuttering if you switch to Windows 10 x64 and use Directx 12 which will be merged in official Dolphin soon
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...12-backend
Btw , OSX is terribly slow compared to Windows . That what I heard from Mac user . Just use bootcamp
Proof for that is here :
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ma...erformance

xb2003c1

I was wondering if it wasn't OS tied. It runs fine on my Gaming PC (IB i5, GTX660). I was just messing around with syncing my DS4 controllers to my MacBook wondered if I could make Dolphin work well. I may end up dual booting but I haven't convinced myself that there is any point.. Ill probably use Windows once in a blue moon.

Thanks!
Wait wait wait. 10-15 seconds of frames drop can't be only related to shader cache stuttering.
10-15s? Sounds like thermal throttling. That's very common on notebooks.

But first, don't use 4.0. It's two years old, and we've fixed *many* bugs, we've improved *a lot*, and we've speed up the emulator *much*.

Oh, and we now use a blocking loop for the GPU emulation to not burn CPU power while the emulated GPU is idle. Hint: This may help with your thermal issues...

So go on our official homepage, and check for the current development versions...