Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dumping Frames to DIVX/XVID Customized
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On Dolphin 8880 for Windows, the lastest version, I tried to dump the frames as normal. However, it does not give me a prompt for which plug-in to use. I believe this is the new Dolphin itself, as it still works on older builds. I'm not sure what type of .avi it's dumping to, but it works for now... (slow motion playback is working on Windows Media Player, as well as Video Settings, the two features I'm most concerned with on a video file.)

Don't get me wrong, the videos play just fine. It's just that I am not able to select my customized HD 1080 Max quality/max bitrate mode with this missing feature.

Any light on this subject from the developers? Did you intentionally remove the selection feature?
VFW interface was removed and Dolphin now uses have its own dumping system built-in (based on ffmpeg I think). In other words, enabling frame dumping now will get you an .avi file encoded in lossy H.264 or in the lossless FFV1 (if you enabled it in Dolphin's Video Settings)...
(02-10-2016, 03:06 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]VFW interface was removed and Dolphin now uses have its own dumping system built-in (based on ffmpeg I think). In other words, enabling frame dumping now will get you an .avi file encoded in lossy H.264 or in the lossless FFV1 (if you enabled it in Dolphin's Video Settings)...

Ok, so... how do I program VFW inferface into my own version of Dolphin, able to keep with the updates? Windows Media Player and many other video players don't play the FFV1 file on my pc...

And H.264 is not that good of a codec, based on my own experiences. I just ran into an error when playing back the new dumped file on a few of my media players...
(02-10-2016, 03:06 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]VFW interface was removed and Dolphin now uses have its own dumping system built-in (based on ffmpeg I think). In other words, enabling frame dumping now will get you an .avi file encoded in lossy H.264 or in the lossless FFV1 (if you enabled it in Dolphin's Video Settings)...

The lossy codec that Dolphin uses isn't H.264.
(02-10-2016, 03:10 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]The lossy codec that Dolphin uses isn't H.264.

Yeah, that's what I figured. H.264 doesn't play right on my pc when I record it with Bandicam. I don't think it's H.264

Any idea what the codec really is?

And how do I insert the VFW codec into Dolphin myself... or is this not possible for anyone except developers anymore?

Back in the day, there were unofficial releases of Dolphin for 2.0 and 3.0. I'm not sure if this is the case for 4.0 and 5.0...
(02-10-2016, 03:13 AM)gondracorn Wrote: [ -> ]Any idea what the codec really is?

It's "FMP4", which apparently is like Xvid. (Are both of those just implementations of MPEG-4 Part 2?)

(02-10-2016, 03:13 AM)gondracorn Wrote: [ -> ]And how do I insert the VFW codec into Dolphin myself... or is this not possible for anyone except developers anymore?

If by "developer" you mean "someone who can use git and Visual Studio", then yes, it's only possible for developers.

(02-10-2016, 03:13 AM)gondracorn Wrote: [ -> ]Back in the day, there were unofficial releases of Dolphin for 2.0 and 3.0. I'm not sure if this is the case for 4.0 and 5.0...

Anyone can make an unofficial release of any Dolphin version if they want to. Which unofficial versions exist depend on what needs there are and what people are interested in doing. I'm not aware of any unofficial versions that change how dumping video works (other than the old a/v hack in the age of 4.0.2, but that has been made unnecessary by improvements to official Dolphin).
(02-10-2016, 03:26 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If by "developer" you mean "someone who can use git and Visual Studio", then yes, it's only possible for developers.

I could do it... I'm smart... but I need someone to guide me there as I learn dolphin's programming so I can put the code in...

(02-10-2016, 03:26 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone can make an unofficial release of any Dolphin version if they want to. Which unofficial versions exist depend on what needs there are and what people are interested in doing. I'm not aware of any unofficial versions that change how dumping video works (other than the old a/v hack in the age of 4.0.2, but that has been made unnecessary by improvements to official Dolphin).

A/V hack? You mean the old capture process? If so, how can it be an improvement to take out a very useful feature from dolphin and substitute it with something less useful? I understand the ease, but couldn't you make a default setting for new users and users without the VFW plug-in, and then have a custom setting for those who have other plugins?
(02-10-2016, 03:32 AM)gondracorn Wrote: [ -> ]A/V hack? You mean the old capture process? If so, how can it be an improvement to take out a very useful feature from dolphin and substitute it with something less useful?

No, that's not what I mean. (I forgot to write a/v sync hack instead of a/v hack, sorry!) The A/V sync hack just makes the dumped audio sync up with the dumped video. It doesn't affect the dumping process or what format you get the output in. Dolphin got built-in A/V sync a while after 4.0.2, and it continues to have it now.

(02-10-2016, 03:32 AM)gondracorn Wrote: [ -> ]I understand the ease, but couldn't you make a default setting for new users and users without the VFW plug-in, and then have a custom setting for those who have other plugins?

First off, these are not plugins. Now, the reason we are moving from VFW to ffmpeg is that VFW simply is old and inflexible these days, plus some of the reasons listed here: https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/8696 It should be possible to improve how we're using ffmpeg in the future, but this is what we have for now.

As for why we don't have both WFV and FFMPEG... Well, there's a point where the usefulness of a function isn't worth the work it takes to keep it in Dolphin. If you want to get dumps in the exact format you want, I suggest dumping as FFV1 and using a program that can transcode it to your format. Compiling a custom version of Dolphin that still uses WFV is also possible, but it'll become harder and harder as Dolphin continues to get updates.