Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: NTSC vs PAL in terms of Audio Speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good Day guys/gals.  I know that PAL games run in slower framerates such as 50 and 25 instead of 60 and 30, but I am curious to know if that means that the music will also be slowed down from the NTSC version.  For example, if you search for Megaman PAL vs NTSC for the NES, you will see that the music plays slower on the PAL version, and that kills it for me.

I'm asking me because a friend is selling me some GC/Wii games but they are in PAL format.
In normal GameCube and Wii games, the music is at the same speed in PAL and NTSC versions. The notable exception is Virtual Console releases of e.g. NES games, which have the same problem as on the original console.
This is because of the nature of the NES and the clockspeed. The sound is generated on the CPU AFAIK and the clockspeed (and so the timing) is different between PAL and NTSC consoles. This is not the case on modern Consoles. (eg. SNES uses a seperate audio chip, so it isn't affected)

You can't play PAL games on a NTSC Console without modification or the other way around. You probably can however play PAL games on a hacked NTSC Console (i think GeckoOS can do that? Ask Google or so).
Same for the other way around.

Dolphin doesn't care. If you play PAL games, the VPS would be 50, while NTSC would be 60.
There are also games, that supports PAL60 (or are PAL60-only, eg. Zelda OOT on GC) so it would be like NTSC (VPS is 60)

The FPS means how many frames a game outputs, mostly either VPS (60) or VPS/2 (60/2 = 30).

Some of the information might be wrong, please correct me if i am wrong somewhere.

Edit: JosJuice ninja'd me "less a minute ago"