Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I shouldn't have any slow down with this right?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a pretty good computer setup, but I'm seeing slow down in Mario Kart Wii no matter what my settings are:

I'm using build: 4.0-8779

Here are my hardware specs:

Intel i7 4790k 4.0 GHz
Nvidia GTX 970
16 GB 1600MHz ram
7200 RPM Hard drive.

With my kind of machine I shouldn't see any slow down in games with settings that would make a lesser machine comfortable?

In Mario Kart Wii for example, when the game starts I get significant lag just before the count down. Anyone have this issue?

Are people with similar hardware seeing slow downs?

EDIT: I found my fix... It's the emulator!

This project fixes it: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...om-version

Hope it becomes official.
If you continued playing the game with the master dev build instead of that, you would have solved your issue anyway.

How come? The slowdown you experienced was due to shader cache being generated by Dolphin.
(02-07-2016, 08:32 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]If you continued playing the game with the master dev build instead of that, you would have solved your issue anyway.

How come? The slowdown you experienced was due to shader cache being generated by Dolphin.

What do you mean by continued playing the game with the master dev build? Was this problem fixed in master?

Which build should I be using? The latest development build?
The shader compilation slowdown will improve itself if you keep using the same build, no matter which one it is.
(02-07-2016, 08:55 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]The shader compilation slowdown will improve itself if you keep using the same build, no matter which one it is.

So this cache is continuously built as you play and stored on non volatile memory?

Where is this cache stored?
It´s stored in the Dolphin Emulator folder, in My Documents (or Documents).
(02-07-2016, 09:28 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]It´s stored in the Dolphin Emulator folder, in My Documents (or Documents).

in your experience when playing games like Zelda does this make games terrible?

Doesn't having to cache things you haven't seen before cause problems in games like Zelda?
Having to cache things isn't the problem. The problem is having to compile things that aren't in the cache yet.
There's a fix for master being worked on right now called ubershaders. Meaning that Dolphin will load the ubershader while the actual shader is being compiled, and then load the actual shader. Ishiiruka builds do something similar: they just don't load any shader, so you'll see black or blanks until it's loaded.
(02-07-2016, 06:29 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Having to cache things isn't the problem. The problem is having to compile things that aren't in the cache yet.

This.