Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: got an old laptop recently + a i7 3540m, no dgpu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
got an old laptop to tinker with off ebay recently, also found a dirt cheap 3540m, laptop came with an i5 3rd gen @ 2.8ghz with hd4000.

i thought i'd try dolphin but my question is, is the intel igp unsupported? opengl is very slow and has colored shapes that cover half the screen, dx11 is playable but sufferes from visuals artifacts, looks like stuff is partially wireframe.

i mainly play on my other laptop / desktop which both have 3gz+ cpu's and dgpu's.
HD 4000 is ok for 1xIR . Up to 2xIR (720p) if the game isn't too demanding
You will face graphic glitches on some games due to bad driver . So you should update the driver if possible . The older the IGP is the more glitches in-game you will have . I have tested Intel GMA(Core 2 duo ) , Intel HD (first gen i5) , Intel HD 4600 ; the later one has less issue and most games run just fine on it
Also make sure your CPU isn't overheating and turbo boost is working properly . You could verify that by installing realtemp and running Dolphin for 5 mins
(02-06-2016, 10:26 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]HD 4000 is ok for 1xIR . Up to 2xIR (720p) if the game isn't too demanding
You will face graphic glitches on some games due to bad driver . So you should update the driver if possible . The older the IGP is the more glitches in-game you will have . I have tested Intel GMA(Core 2 duo ) , Intel HD (first gen i5) , Intel HD 4600 ; the later one has less issue and most games run just fine on it
Also make sure your CPU isn't overheating and turbo boost is working properly . You could verify that by installing realtemp and running Dolphin for 5 mins

must be a case of dodgy intel drivers, as i tested a build of dolphin with dx9 and that ran without glitches, only opengl and dx11 were messed up.
What about dx12 ? In theory , DX12 should work on most recent iGPU , not sure about HD 4000 or older iGPU though
(02-06-2016, 11:22 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]What about dx12 ? In theory , DX12 should work on most recent iGPU , not sure about HD 4000 or older iGPU though

dx12 works on hd4600 but dolphin threw up some errors on the hd4000, can't even select the renderer to test. i can post a screen if that'll help?
2xIR is actually 960p.
For 720p, you should use 1.5xIR (but beware: it can cause glitches, since it's not an integer multiple of the native IR).
Definitely check if there are any driver updates on Intel's website (I'm betting there is). I've tested a laptop with those specs and have had no issues with the iGPU in general
(02-07-2016, 03:15 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely check if there are any driver updates on Intel's website (I'm betting there is). I've tested a laptop with those specs and have had no issues with the iGPU in general

i was using the latest driver though.