Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Playable on dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Synlinux

I run an i7 860 @ 2.8 Ghz quad core with hyperthreading and a HD 5770 1 gb model and use Solus OS X64 my question is will my system play dolphin wihtout audio bugs? on youtube people have the same setups and hardware and record and never get lag.

i have a build i got from the Git hub and did cmake and all that but games like mario sunshine and maro galaxy 2, zelda ss are like hardly playable with horrible audio lag and low frame rates. around 40 to 60
Your hardware is outdated . In order to run most games smoothly , you will need a decent CPU like G3258 (cheap but can be oced up to 4.7GHz) or i5 4670k or i7 4790k or newer CPU . Your GPU is also outdated but it's fine for 1080p
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use
Quote:youtube people have the same setups and hardware and record and never get lag.
I really wonder about that . In the past , i7 860 was fast enough for most games except demanding games like SMG , Zelda SS . Nowadays , Dolphin's accuracy is much better that before . Sometimes , we have to sacrifice speed hacks for accuracy
Old Dolphin revision might give you more FPS but you will have to bare with gfx glitches , bugs ...
FAQ Wrote:Dolphin is a dual core application that relies upon IPC (Instructions Per Clock) for performance. Additional cores will not make Dolphin go any faster
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use
So either overclock your CPU or upgrade it
That hardware is old but still capable of running Dolphin at close to full speed. You're just using the wrong OS, wrong backend and the wrong version of Dolphin.

For optimal performance, switch to Windows, select the Direct3D11 (or 12) backend, download the latest Win64 master/dev build and see how it fares.
Then try one of the Windows-only unofficial builds [Dolphin-Direct3D12 or Dolphin-Ishiiruka]. You should get much better framerates and no audio glitches.

* Why Windows OS?
- Windows still has better graphics performance and lower overhead than GNU/Linux (a funny thing is that even OpenGL runs faster on Windows if you use an AMD GPU).
- AMD GPUs perform even better (read: much better) with the Direct3D backend. OpenGL is (still) slow and buggy.
- Demanding titles that heavily use CPU->EFB accesses and EFB to RAM run nearly twice as fast with the Direct3D backend.

* Why Dolphin-Ishiiruka?
- The unofficial Ishiiruka build works better on old hardware.
- It has a brand new Direct3D 12 backend (requires Windows 10) for even less CPU overhead and improved performance in GPU-intensive titles.
- Fast EFB Access dramatically increases performance in the demanding titles you wish to run.
- Time Stretching slows down audio (instead of creating audio glitches) when running just below fullspeed.

NOTE: Unofficial builds are not supported in this forum.
For support, you should use the respective forum threads in the Development section.
Ishiiruka also crashes a heck of a lot more and you can only get support in the Ishiiruka thread.

Also, whatever Tino did to the D3D12 backend hdcmeta created made it unstable as hell.

So, YMMV.

Synlinux

is there a free varient of windows? as i only have a disc of XP SP2 and dont want to move bck to such an old OS.
(02-07-2016, 02:11 AM)kirbypuff Wrote: [ -> ]- Windows still has better graphics performance and lower overhead than GNU/Linux (a funny thing is that even OpenGL runs faster on Windows if you use an AMD GPU).

In my experience, the Linux builds have the same performance for OpenGL as the Windows builds as long as you have a NVIDIA GPU and use the proprietary drivers. This is obviously completely not the case with AMD cards since their drivers are catastrophic.

However, if you use Windows 10, DX12 should be faster than both D3D and OpenGL (unless Dolphin gets a Vulkan backend, but…).

Quote:is there a free varient of windows? as i only have a disc of XP SP2 and dont want to move bck to such an old OS.
No. By the way, XP is unsupported, which means that any security issues will never be fixed. And Dolphin doesn't support 32 bits OSes anymore, so that disc is completely useless to you if you plan to run Dolphin.

The simplest way to run Dolphin at full speed would just be to upgrade your hardware. That will allow you to get both speed and accuracy.

Synlinux

Well im boned ;c i havent got a job yet as im still going through school so purchasing new hardware isn't going to happen. this pc is ew hardware to me as ive been running pentiums since 2002 and hate them to death and your recommending Pentium G3258 the word Pentium makes me wanna break them.
If you don't have Windows 10, you can't try the DX12 branch either, so… sadly you won't have an enjoyable experience at all.

The G3258 is a completely different Pentium than the ones you ever could have bought in the past: it's a Haswell, and you can overclock it. I have one and it runs all games I have at full speed. Seriously, just search for it if you don't know about it.
Yes , G3258 @ 4.7GHz should be as fast as i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz or i7 4790k stock speed in dolphin . In multi-threaded application , it won't stand a chance though

Hawntah

(02-07-2016, 08:25 AM)Synlinux Wrote: [ -> ]is there a free varient of windows? as i only have a disc of XP SP2 and dont want to move bck to such an old OS.

You might want to check if you can't get Windows for free through your school. Check out onthehub.com
Pages: 1 2