Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Low fps on Tales of Symphonia?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

roughwinds

I've messed quite a bit with the settings and just can't figure out what's causing this, the fps is fluctuating a lot between 35~50 with some more drastic drops to low 20s even at native resolution. Changing the DSP Emulator Engine to LLE recompiler oddly seems to do the biggest performance hit, making the game run at sub 20. Other than Symphonia I've also tested Twilight Princess and Wind Waker and both are working just fine with stable fps. Any suggestions?
Just to note this game has variable framerate, the world map runs at 30 for ntsc and the rest of the game at 60 fps. Hope you haven't set a specific number of fps if you are not using the latest dev, if you do make sure you have set it to 100% speed.

roughwinds

(02-02-2016, 11:02 PM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]Just to note this game has variable framerate, the world map runs at 30 for ntsc and the rest of the game at 60 fps. Hope you haven't set a specific number of fps if you are not using the latest dev, if you do make sure you have set it to 100% speed.
I should have been more specific, those huge fluctuations happens while I'm staying still at the place where I start the game, so it definitively isn't normal. Oddly I haven't even be able to figure out where to set a fps on the latest build.
Config>Speed limit. Should be 100% by default.

The DSP emulator you use can have a large impact on performance, and certain games require specific DSP settings to work correctly.

roughwinds

(02-03-2016, 06:39 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]Config>Speed limit. Should be 100% by default.

The DSP emulator you use can have a large impact on performance, and certain games require specific DSP settings to work correctly.
It's at 100%. I saw someone at a thread saying he's getting stable 60 with both HLE and LLE, so I assume it's not one of those games. Later tonight I'll test multiple older builds to see if it works fine on any of them.
And this is with the computer from your profile? An i5 4690 and a R9 390???

It really sounds like there's something wrong. Are you sure you did not change something weird in the settings?
Probably the GPU dropping into low power mode. Big AMD cards love to do that.

roughwinds

(02-03-2016, 08:24 AM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]And this is with the computer from your profile? An i5 4690 and a R9 390???

It really sounds like there's something wrong. Are you sure you did not change something weird in the settings?
Yes, that's my computer. I at first tested it with default settings, then I tried to mess around with it. Other games work fine.

(02-03-2016, 09:39 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Probably the GPU dropping into low power mode. Big AMD cards love to do that.
I've taken that into consideration, sadly the drops even happen when using clockblocker or disabling powerplay on MSI afterburner.

The game is working fine with Dolphin 4.0.2 but not on the latest version. I tested this on two different PCs and it worked fine on 4.0.2 but very unstable on the latest version.
(02-03-2016, 09:55 AM)roughwinds Wrote: [ -> ] clockblocker
Oh my god that's actually a thing that is amazing.