Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 4.XX vs. 5.0 RC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

santeana

Hi there. First off, I apologise if this has been posted or asked previously....Been trying unsuccessfully to find the answer on my own, but to no avail. I am currently running V5 RC35 and for the few games I actually play at my age, everything seems to run ok. My question is about the versions themselves. RC35 seems to be the latest of version 5 that I can find. Even then I had to dig through Google to find it. "Download" up here at the top only takes you to V4.XX builds and I'm not sure why. I am also a little confused as to why the dev builds of V4 are more up to date (as of wrtiing this, the latest is only a little less than 2 days old), whereas V5.0 hasn't seemed to have a release in over 3 months. Can someone please explain this to me? Am I better off downgrading to V4 in order to be more up to date? Is there a different dev list where I can find later versions of 5.0? I'm very new to Dolphin and am trying to learn a bit more about it. Thanks!
The 5.0-rc builds are the same as the 4.0-6727, except they also have some small fixes that were added in later development versions. Changing to the latest development version would be an upgrade, not a downgrade. Our plan was to continue updating the development builds with new features while only doing small fixes to 5.0-rc. We would then be able to release 5.0 based on 5.0-rc, knowing that there aren't any new features that haven't had enough testing yet. However, this didn't end up working out, so we abandoned 5.0-rc. (Instead, we are now going to not add new features to the development versions for a while, and release 5.0 based on that.) You can still find the 5.0-rc builds if you know where to look, but we don't put them on the download page because there really is no reason to use them instead of the regular development builds.

In short: Builds that are newer than 4.0-6727 are newer than the 5.0-rc builds. Once 5.0 (not 5.0-rc) is released, it will be newer than all 4.0 development builds.

santeana

(02-02-2016, 12:28 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]The 5.0-rc builds are the same as the 4.0-6727, except they also have some small fixes that were added in later development versions. Changing to the latest development version would be an upgrade, not a downgrade. Our plan was to continue updating the development builds with new features while only doing small fixes to 5.0-rc. We would then be able to release 5.0 based on 5.0-rc, knowing that there aren't any new features that haven't had enough testing yet. However, this didn't end up working out, so we abandoned 5.0-rc. (Instead, we are now going to not add new features to the development versions for a while, and release 5.0 based on that.) You can still find the 5.0-rc builds if you know where to look, but we don't put them on the download page because there really is no reason to use them instead of the regular development builds.

In short: Builds that are newer than 4.0-6727 are newer than the 5.0-rc builds. Once 5.0 (not 5.0-rc) is released, it will be newer than all 4.0 development builds.

Perfect. Thanks so much! Smile