Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to get lan working with double dash?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've set up two taps, bridged them together, then loaded up the game. When I connect to lan it always crashes almost immediately after it begins searching for other gamecubes (aka my other install of dolphin)

What should I do?
The OS listed in your profile appears to be invalid, so I will assume you're using Windows, in which case the answer is that you can't. Dolphin's BBA emulation under Windows is too slow to play LAN games. Your only course of action would be to try using Dolphin under Linux, since Linux has faster BBA emulation (but even that might not work).
(01-17-2016, 07:27 AM)AleronĀ Ives Wrote: [ -> ]The OS listed in your profile appears to be invalid, so I will assume you're using Windows, in which case the answer is that you can't. Dolphin's BBA emulation under Windows is too slow to play LAN games. Your only course of action would be to try using Dolphin under Linux, since Linux has faster BBA emulation (but even that might not work).

I didn't comment the first time you wrote this elsewhere, but this is just simply not true. I'm able to run LAN games fine under Windows. They don't always run full speed but they do work. 1080 Avalanche, Double Dash, and Kirby Air Ride all work. If you're having trouble try this build: https://dl.dolphin-emu.org/prs/pr-3432-d...est-x64.7z

That build should fix the crashing problem. Hopefully it gets merged to master soon...

PR can be monitored here: https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3432
That's odd, as I recall seeing a developer posting a comparison of the latency between Windows and Linux and commenting that it was no wonder that LAN games crashed under Windows, since the BBA performance was so bad. Thanks for pointing out that buid, though. I was afraid nobody would ever work on fixing the BBA emulation under Windows, since it crashes a LOT and has terrible performance. I will have to test it.
(01-17-2016, 07:51 PM)AleronĀ Ives Wrote: [ -> ]That's odd, as I recall seeing a developer posting a comparison of the latency between Windows and Linux and commenting that it was no wonder that LAN games crashed under Windows, since the BBA performance was so bad. Thanks for pointing out that buid, though. I was afraid nobody would ever work on fixing the BBA emulation under Windows, since it crashes a LOT and has terrible performance. I will have to test it.

No Worries. Smile

Yeah I just wanted to point out that it was possible for it to work. It still runs much worse on Windows than Linux of course, but it's still a viable option. I was able to play Double Dash with some friends for a little over an hour with no major problems.