Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Problems with frame rate and lines on screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BondofBlood

I just got this program and was playing resident evil 2 for gamecube on it and the frame rate would tank out of nowhere and there is a random black line on the screen and sound problems when the frame rate drops how do I fix this it's not my computer I can run every game I own on max settings with no frame rate drops.
It actually probably IS your computer. If you had read the FAQ, you would know that AMD CPUs are pretty bad for Dolphin, which is concerned mainly with per-core performance because it can only use two cores for the intensive tasks. For this reason, among others, you can't compare emulating with Dolphin to running a PC game at all.

You're also using Dolphin 4.0.2, which is really outdated right now. Use the latest development version, and you will probably see a noticeable increase in performance. You could also post your graphics settings here, just in case you have something incorrectly set.

BondofBlood

(01-15-2016, 01:15 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]It actually probably IS your computer. If you had read the FAQ, you would know that AMD CPUs are pretty bad for Dolphin, which is concerned mainly with per-core performance because it can only use two cores for the intensive tasks. For this reason, among others, you can't compare emulating with Dolphin to running a PC game at all.

You're also using Dolphin 4.0.2, which is really outdated right now. Use the latest development version, and you will probably see a noticeable increase in performance. You could also post your graphics settings here, just in case you have something incorrectly set.

well I am going to get the new version and I had that problem before with the fact I have a good 8 core processor some garbage video recording program only used one core so it sucked is there a point when when this will be able to handle 8 cores instead of baby 2.

Just because you can stick a million cores on a chip, that doesn't automatically mean the cores are good. AMD chips have pretty poor IPC in comparison to intel chips, as in a highly overclocked FX chip matches roughly an Intel i3 depending on generation in general single threaded performance.

It's a common misunderstanding that any program can just make a lot of hard working threads and split up a task without breaking. This isn't always true, and doesn't work with Dolphin's workload. Dolphin has a CPU emulation thread and a GPU emulation thread that does a lot of work when dual core mode is enabled (Which it is by default, despite it creating a lot of bugs)

AMD made chips hoping that they could beat intel in performance by adding a lot of cores, even if the cores weren't that fast.

If you're having slow downs, you may or may not be able to fix some of them by overclocking your CPU. 3.1 ghz is probably too slow for an FX chip in Dolphin.

BondofBlood

[attachment=14266][attachment=14263][attachment=14263][attachment=14264][attachment=14265][attachment=14262]
(01-15-2016, 01:15 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]It actually probably IS your computer. If you had read the FAQ, you would know that AMD CPUs are pretty bad for Dolphin, which is concerned mainly with per-core performance because it can only use two cores for the intensive tasks. For this reason, among others, you can't compare emulating with Dolphin to running a PC game at all.

ok the new version seemed to fix the frame rate so far the line is still on the screen though here is my set up